We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
J L
Ontario
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

My family of 5 are traveling early in December 2013 to Riu Emerald Bay and with most family of 5s we had to take two rooms. Yes we could have paid a lot more and got the duplex or family suite but we are trying to do this on a budget and two rooms was a lot less.

So my question is whether anyone has had adjoining rooms at Riu Emerald Bay and how hard was it to ensure you got them?

I would like it so we are all within adjoining room door opposed to two separate rooms beside or near each other.

Appreciate any experience or suggestions.

* Also would appreciate any advise on which is the lowest level room possible with still a nice view so we can enjoy the view but still use the stairs if elevators are busy.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 21:56
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

Contact the RIU right away by E-Mail and advise them of your needs and wishes. The RIU chain has a very well deserved reputation for trying to please guests, and no doubt they try to do the same for you. I don't have have an E-Mail address, but hopefully someone reading your question will.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

Welcome to the forum.

Wow. didn't know the Duplex rooms cost were more than 2 reg. rooms. OR the Family room also.. Wow,

A Family room, would just be a reg.room, but with One King bed and One Double., you would still have to get a cot, I think for 3 kids., so if reg..rooms are less ,that's the way to go IMHO.

There are a few adjoining rooms on each floor." Mid Building.". Adjoining Meaning.. there is a short Hallway to two rooms.. plus a Hallway door.. that locks, so you leave the two room doors open, and lock the hallway door. (At least that is what they are like at other Rius) and I'm pretty sure I saw those doors on our Floors. # 17 and 21.

Really the views are good from Every floor. until the trees get alot taller.

Feel free to ask any more questions.. and you can send me a PM if you like.

Good resort for kids.. do as the Life guard directs..re:swimming with kids.

I would ask for at least the 5th floor.. View will be a little better than the Duplex ,as those are the first two floors,with inner stairs, . being ,Floor 3and 4 (I think) as Lobby is on 2nd.floor, and the deck for duplex is top of lobby.

As you are going Before the Xmas Rush.. you won't have any trouble with the Elevators.. We were there last Dec. and never waited for more than 2 mins... and that was for a two week stay..

I would go for the Highest floor, and forget the steps...LoL.

You can read my Reviews on the REBay. just click on my name, then contributions.Maz..

You can e-mail the Riu Emerald Bay at: hotel.emeraldbay@riu.com attention.Reservations/Cust.Service. quote your booking number,names,date of stay, etc.... They might not have your Booking Yet,,, usually 10 days Out, they get them.. Are you with SunWing ?? if so I Think they put all SunWing on lower floors, like 12-10 down..

I would send an E-mail Now.. and see if you get a reply.

Good luck

Joy

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

I am looking to go to same hotel jan 3-10 2014 and its cheaper right now to book the family room then split my hubby and I with our 3 kids in 2 regular rooms - split the cost is 5115.00

in family room its 5034

plus sign up for their email thing and get 50.00 off trip as well

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

Don't confuse the Family room and a Duplex room Rusnyks,and Welcome to the Forum..

A Family room is just a reg. room., but with One King and One Queen or Double. at Least that is what they are at other Rius.

The DUPLEX are on lst. floors.. with Staircase up to a King.and bath.lower floor has a pull out sofa,and bath.

The $50 off must be with a Canadian Travel site, like Escapes ??

J L
Ontario
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

Just a follow up.

We had sent emails a couple times to resort prior to our departure and when we arrived they did give us adjoining rooms (slightly different than typical adjoining rooms as there is a main door that has a small hallway to two bedrooms. We left the bedroom doors open and just shut the hallway door.

Talked to a family that got a family room and they said it was small (with a cot) and only one bathroom and when we told of our two rooms with two washrooms and four double beds for same price they wished they had done that.

I suppose it depends on how old and how big your kids are. For ours the two rooms was great.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
363 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

I wonder what the arrangement would have been if no adjoining and do you have pictures of the room?

Te duplex doesn't sound big enough for family I 5.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

#1, Duplex room. two floors, staircase up to bedroom ,withKing,bathroom, lower part,sofa,makes into double bed,bathroom.

#2,Family room, two beds, One double, One King, plus you can get a cot. Just a reg.room,but with One King,and one double or Queen.

#3. Adjoining rooms (you have to Pay for two Reg.Rooms with two beds in each ). and Yes the doors are both in a short hallway, you can leave this Open.. then Lock the Door in hallway to the Main Hallway.

as in my Post #4. Don't Confuse the Duplex with a Family Room..

If you look back in pictures, I'm sure there is the Duplex room pictures ,showing the Interior stairs. The Duplex rooms are on the First floor Over Lobby........

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

Can someone tell me if the Duplex Room or Family Room would have more room? We are debating a stay next week and were offered these two options (family of 4, kids are 2.5 and 1.5). Separation between us and the kids might be an issue with the Duplex room as well. If someone can speak to the specific layout of the Duplex room it would be great (as in space between the beds, if we would hear them easily, etc). Thanks so much!

White Rock, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

That last question was a good one. Is the "bedroom" up the staircase an actual separate room or is it simply a loft area with a bed and bathroom? A room suggests 4 walls. Does the upstairs bedroom have these and does the upstairs bathroom have these? In other words are there walls to give privacy in what many called an upstairs bedroom and bathroom. It's all in the details folks. Please be more specific.

10. Re: Riu Emerald Bay - Adjoining Rooms / Lower Level Room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:16