We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boogie Boarding at Riu?

travelrider16
10 posts
Save Topic
Boogie Boarding at Riu?

Hello,

We will be travelling to the RIU Emerald Bay over the Christmas break and I am wondering about the boogie boarding there.

Do they provide boogie boards at no charge?

How are the waves for boogie boarding?

I appreciate any responses!! Thanks in advance!

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boogie Boarding at Riu?

Not sure about free boogie boards.

The size & frequency of waves are determined by wind, currents, tides & weather so it would be hard to predict what the conditions will be in a month, that said yes you will probably have decent waves for boogie boarding.

That area is notorious for dangerous currents so be careful & watch for & pay attention to the warning flags.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boogie Boarding at Riu?

travelrider I'm not sure if the RIU has boogie board available on demand. That might be possible, since the El Cid Castilla does make them available at no charge for a certain level of AI.

Boogie boarding can be done any time of year in Mazatlan. However the waves in December will be smaller and more sporadic, since it's the off season for surf. (The primary season for waves is late Spring through early November.) Beginners and those who only get a chance to boggie board infrequently, often find December be just fine and a lot of fun. Especially just north of the RIU near the main section of the beach called Playa Bruja.

Let me address the safety factor, since I'm not clear how or why the RIU's beaches would be named as a place for dangerous currents. In general currents around Mazatlan are not the strength of many other sections along the Mexican Riveria.

What currents do occur are almost exclusively during the summer months and run South to North (left to right as you look at the water from the beach). In December what minor currents you might encounter should be running the opposite direction, and created by the dominant weather from that time of year. Which is a Northerly flow coming down the Gulf of California and pushed ahead of storm fronts hitting Southern California and Northern Baja.

Now lets talk about what you can expect from those winds, and why you're unlikely to encounter much current at the RIU in December. You see there is a very large and dominant headland at the end of Playa Bruja, north of RIU. It shelters the nearby beaches from most current that could generated by that Northerly flow. Hence in the winter months, like December, current rarely become an issue on in Playa Bruja and in front of the RIU.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 05:02
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boogie Boarding at Riu?

Yes the Riu EBay has Free boards.. limited time per day.

Previous post, are Excellent.. Been in June ,and there was Trouble with swimming, Dec. No trouble..Just listen to where the Life Guard tells you to go...

have a great time.. It will be FULL over Xmas..

Joy

4. Re: Boogie Boarding at Riu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan
Recent Conversations