We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shrimp price

Calgary
Level Contributor
395 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shrimp price

In Guayabitos- 1 hour north of PV- we get our shrimp from Mazatlan and area- San Blas as well I believe.

Anyway, the price per kilo is about 50% higher -on the beach- than a year ago. One restauranteur said there was a virus which destroyed the shrimp population. Is this true- or is there some other explanation?

Seriously, though, restaurants won't make much money with the high prices they need to charge to cover their costs

Hopefully things will return to normal soon- may be a while?

What are prices like in Mazatlan?

Edited: 29 November 2013, 01:59
Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shrimp price

From reports I have read there was a virus which wiped out the farm raised shrimp.

The second factor was the ocean harvest is down this season.

The third thing is because of the increased value of shrimp, piracy of the shrimp trawlers on the high sea has escalated. Many of the trawlers have just tied it up for the season.

The next year only promises high prices.

Calgary
Level Contributor
395 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shrimp price

Thanks for the information- never thought of piracy. I guess a change in diet is required.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 14:53
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shrimp price

Sorry to hear about the problems had by the farmers & fishermen but as with any commodity; supply + demand = price

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shrimp price

If anyone is interested, here is a link to one article on the shrimp pirates.

mazmessenger.com/2013/…

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shrimp price

Too late to edit previous post.

Here is another article regarding shrimp prices.

mazmessenger.com/2013/…

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
800 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shrimp price

We were buying 20-26 count shrimp at the Inn for 200 pesos/kilo. That works out to about $7.00 USD per lb. Not too bad since we normally pay about 10 to 12 bucks per pound here in the Midwest.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shrimp price

Shrimp reproduce rapidly and grow to market size faster than most fish. So in theory, if they can get the virus under control and negative factors in the ocean return to normal the stocks should replenish in a short time.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shrimp price

I've been buying them from the shrimp ladies a few blocks from the market downtown for 140 to 180 per kilo and thats for the largest ones they have. Shrimp that are bigger then your hand. Lobsters are 150 per kilo there too.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shrimp price

That's awesome info Hostel_FunkyMonkey. Coming next week and was a little worried that even all the restaurant prices for shrimp would be up. Also plan to go to the Shrimp Ladies. Good to know they have lobsters right now too. Any other seafood?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shrimp price

Yes they always have: octopus, squid (3 or 4 inch), large scallops and oysters in a bag of sea water.

I always just get my oysters fresh from the divers, when they come out of the water, in the mornings till noon. They will open them and server them with lime and hot sauce for 7 pesos a oyster. Just bring some horseradish with you.

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan