We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's Get This Forum Started!

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Let's Get This Forum Started!

Okay, people, I'm actually here and there still isn't enough action on this forum for me! I can't imagine being home, waiting for my next trip and waiting for every single word that anyone could write on Mazatlan! So for those people, let's keep our posts coming!

Unfortunately, I don't have too much "new" and "interesting" stuff to report. Went to La Costa Marinera twice this week (which wasn't even on my "Drop Dead List of Restaurants to Visit" list) once I had the Crackling Squid and then went back for the Crackling Fish because the squid was so good. My husband wasn't really all that keen on ordering it but I said we needed to try something different and it was absolutely DELICIOUS! And we were with a few tables full of people and everyone wanted to share and loved it! Very good.

Last night a very generous owner at our condo (he, he I guess I should say the "condo we're staying at") hosted a catered party with open bar, taco bar etc. It was absolutely great and nice to meet many other condo owners. Then we headed to Gus Gus with some other owners and returned to have "one nighcap" at their place which ended up with us getting home at 2:00 am! Lots of dancing, laughter and fun. But today was a little rough - and I can't remember the last time that I had anything close to resembling a hang over!

Getting up for stockings this morning when my youngest was excited to open his presents was a little rough but then we quickly headed down to the pool to give the condo staff their gifts. Only two of the cleaning ladies were working so I really hope I can figure out tomorrow who still needs to receive their gifts!! LOL

Then headed to Loco's to hand out Xmas gifts. So much fun! Carmelita, the daughter of Jaime - one of the owners, saw us with bags, came running over and knew exactly which bag was hers. She grabbed it, kissed me, said Mucho Gracias and she was gone. I thought it was so cute. We've been taking gift bags of toys, crayons, colouring books, candies and chocolates for a few years now but I honestly thought that she may be too young to remember - but clearly she knew that one of those bags was for her and knew exactly which one! It was so fun. The best item in the gift bags ever was the cans of silly string! Javiercito just couldn't get over that stuff! We didn't get to see Tonito with his can of fake snow though - that probably would have been fun!

As mentioned in another forum, today we were lucky to meet snowbird and her husband. Had a great time with them and got home a little later than expected. As they called it, when we got home our boys wanted to go out to eat (after we had already eaten) so we headed north for a place open at 9:00 pm. As mentioned previously, it's pretty hard to find many places open late for dinner. Fat Fish was closed, as were many other places, but Los Zarapes was open so we went there. Again, this place has never made it on any of my restaurant short lists but I really liked it. We sat outside (even when it started raining) and the ambiance of the upstairs patio is really nice (and non-smoking outside). The guys had ribs and a combo plate of mahi mahi, stuffed poblano pepper and shrimp taco. They loved it. And the tableside salsa was fabulous.

Tomorrow going to head for breakfast somewhere and then walk out to Cerritos to visit some friends.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,603 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

Yesterday we went to Casa Loma with three other couples and enjoyed their traditional Christmas meal of white wine, sweet corn soup, turkey, dressing, cranberry, mashed potatoes, and carrots. Apple pie for dessert. Excellent food and as usual the service and atmosphere was first class.

2. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2017, 14:30
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,373 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

Here is a good place to look for apartments...in Old Town there are really nice places and inexpensive...

http://www.whatsupmaz.org/

Go to the Buy and Sell and hit on accommodations...

Save money on a nice rental...and then spend it being out and about enjoying tennis and eating out. In Old Town there are so many wonderful restaurants that you could be there all winter long and find it hard to hit them all. It's fun to have a kitchenette in an apartment for cold drinks and snack type things...and then go out and about meeting up with other tourists and those who live in Mazatlan.

Don't worry...you can get along ok without much Spanish...just go and enjoy!!!

SunSeeker has given you lots of names of restaurants to checkout in the Golden Zone area...just take the bus from Old Town and spend the day checking that area out. Make sure you bring along a jacket because it can be cool in the winter time...and being prepared sure makes it more enjoyable. Shoes and socks will keep you warm and comfortable.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 17:00
4. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

Clay you might want to consider the El Cid Granada, which is about a block north from the Margarita's complex. (Link below) A big advantage is that's it's connected to the El Cid Castilla property via an overhead walkway that crosses the main drag running along the beach. So you get tennis, golf, and a beach resort, sort of all together, with a room dead center at the Granada.

Directly across from the front door is the El Cid tennis courts where many (some would argue just about all) of Mazatlan's most competitive tennis devotees play. Right next to that is the golf course, and many people have played there with their good selection of clubs to rent.

It's also very easy to cross over the walkway to the main hotel to use the beach, and also very convenient for some great restaurants like F.I.S.H., Villa Italia, Alagua, El Parador, Mary's, and Rico's Coffee among others.

Have a great time where ever you stay....and may your ground strokes be true and just clear the net by a inch!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150792-d483268…

Edited: 27 December 2013, 02:39
Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

I'm probably not the best qualified to answer your questions but I note that the Funky Monkey Hostel was recommended and may suit much of what you're looking for. And the owner posted on a few posts today and you won't find a language problem there. I have also read some reviews and it sounds like that is a happening place where they really take care of their guests and take them out or tell them where the happening places are. If that's your thing it sounds like a really good option. No tennis but sounds like lots of fun! Captain Moe's sounds good for what you are looking for too. In terms of language though, I think you will find no problem communicating here in Mazatlan. I only know a little bit of Spanish but I get along just fine here and understand most of what is said to me, even if I can't speak it, unlike Huatulco where it was very difficult to communicate if you didn't know a lot of Spanish. Have a great trip! And please post about your experiences!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

Sorry been away from forum! Been in balmy Victoria with family. Home for New Years and will begin getting ready for Februry 9 trip to Mazatlan!

8. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 22:05
9. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Let's Get This Forum Started!

I LOVE Edmonton. I suppose it depends on where you live. World class symphony. Fabulous Arts here. Good sport teams ( they hardly ever win though )

FANTASTIC restaurants and the largest area of continuous parkland in North America. The only thing I dislike about Edmonton is driving in the winter. I wish the weather was more moderate ( cooler summers and warmer winters ) but it isnèt and never will be.