We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

american money???

eastern ontario
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
american money???

we are leaving tuesday for the Riu. just read not to take American money. we always use American money in mexico. Why all of a sudden is it not used?WE had our Canadian money converted to American, now what.When we would ask if they would accept it they all said yes. We are very confuses over this...any one have some advise for us......party of 8 thanks u for your help.

Bagley, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: american money???

I think what most are saying is that if you tip in currency that is not of the country you are in they have to go exchange it. I don't think anyone is going to turn any money down if you are willing to give it to them. If you are paying with U.S dollars I am sure you are only going to get 10/1 when the exchange rate as of now is 13/1. As people have said your best exchange rate is going to be at the ATM. When I get money out of the ATM I get as much as I can at a time so the fees don't get out of hand. As well when I leave I make sure I have enough for when I come back the next time for a taxi. But they do have ATM's at the airport as well so you could always get it there.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: american money???

1) There is no point in Canadians exchanging to US dollars to spend in Mexico - just convert directly to pesos.

2) Exchanging US dollars (cash) has been made more difficult to aid in the fight against the drugs trade so the Mexican government is discouraging people from bringing US dollars.

However, you already have them so........you should be able to spend them in most places in Mazatlan. If you find too many places refusing them (unlikely) they are easy to exchange to pesos.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: american money???

No confusion in Mazatlan. Pesos are the local currency and the preferred currency. That hasn't changed in Mazatlan. Some places will accept dollars but it's easy to get pesos through ATMs, resorts, casas de cambio and banks. To me it's a sign of respect to use the local currency so they don't have to make a special trip to the bank. I do know that in other areas of Mexico it is more common to use dollars but those areas are more the all-inclusive isolated resort type of place. You can change your dollars for pesos at the airport, some resorts, banks and casas de cambio. The Mazatlecos won't complain because they are too respectful but believe me they prefer their local currency.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: american money???

Save your USD for a US trip and get some Pesos either at home or from an ATM with your bank card upon arrival. That way you won't get dinged with a lousy exchange on your USD and your friend in Mexico won't have to go through the hassle or discount of turning USD to something spendable.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
772 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: american money???

You can spend Dollars if you wish I doubt it would get rejected. I strongly recommend against it though simply for personal finance reasons.

ATM's are the most convenient way to exchange and also a good ex-rate.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: american money???

Folks the OP is leaving in just few days for the RIU and has already exchanged Canadian dollars for American ones to use on the trip. While certainly everyone means well and is trying to be helpful...exchanging the money again is impractical to say the least. In addition you can tell from the wording of the question there's genuine confusion, and why not since some people make it sound like you'd have trouble using dollars in Mazatlan.

casymama you will, let's repeat that, WILL be able to use your US dollars in Mazatlan. For that matter you could have also used your Canadian dollars since both are easily convertible into pesos. It's not at all difficult to get pesos for dollars, and I do it all the time with no problem whatsoever. Many places, accept dollars in Mazatlan, although it's true the exchange rate at some places would be below the highest rates available.

So let's go over the details:

1. As said many places exchange dollars for pesos. Most notably some banks, some resorts (although it's been reported the RIU is not one of them), exchange houses, major stores such as MEGA, and just about every restaurant where tourists are regularly seen.

2. With only one remaining business day left before your departure, you'll want to concentrate on getting your last minute things done. Getting a bunch of pesos (even if you had time) to take along is NOT one of those things.

3. An easy to handle the tipping in the local currency, would be to have your driver stop on the way to the RIU at a casa de cambio (exchange house). They're all over the Golden Zone, and you can exchange two or three hundred of your dollars. On two hundred for example you're probably going to lose about a grand total of $10. over what you could have received from using a bank card...IF, and this is a big if, you don't get charged a withdrawal fee on the bank card.

4. You're AI, so that amount of pesos will certainly get you a long way along until you decide what you want to do from there. In the meantime if you eat off site and / or want to tip, you'll have pesos to work with. After you've settled into your room for a day or two and got the lay of the land you'll naturally come up with a way to exchange whatever amount of your dollars you need into pesos.

5. As for the exchange rate the 10 to 1 number is not at all universal. Banks exchange at the normal rates, i.e. 13 to 1. Casa de cambio exchange house are a little lower, roughly 12.5 to one. Many restaurants are very fair about dollars....such as the very popular F.I.S.H. restaurante which is 12 to 1.

In addition if you want to do some grocery shopping MEGA, Soriana and the like are just a tad below the banks for your purchase. Approximately 12.8 to 1. Then you have have quick places like OXXO which has great coffee and snacks, etc. They take dollars all day long at about 12.7 to 1.

Again people mean well and may have had a bad experience or have a great concern about an exchange rate. However cosymama you won't want to confuse that concern as meaning you can't use dollars, because that's simply not the case. The only thing that's different these days from when dollars were very commonly used has to do with banks and major resorts being required to keep records of exchanges.

That burden and hassle of paperwork is likely the reason the RIU may have stopped doing it. That being said casa de cambios, stores, restaurants, liquor / quick stores are not bound by those rules, and they're talking dollars all day long with no question. It's honestly not a big deal.

If someone doesn't have a bank card, or chooses not to use one and wants to bring dollars? There is NO problem doing so. The only downside is when you use or exchange them you may not get the very best exchange rate. Speaking only for myself I don't get huge worry about losing $10. or $15. to exchange enough money for a few days, in return for not standing in line at the bank or searching around for a bank machine.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: american money???

AquaMaz, all good of course. Just so you know, 75% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the USA so many of us can spend our USD on a weekend trip. The OP might not be stuck with the USD she bought for this vacation and keeping them might save her a few bucks if she goes to USA. Anyway, as you said if she wants to spend them this trip, she can.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: american money???

Yep.........the rest is covered with polar bears, penguins and igloo's

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: american money???

"3. An easy to handle the tipping in the local currency, would be to have your driver stop on the way to the RIU at a casa de cambio (exchange house). They're all over the Golden Zone, and you can exchange two or three hundred of your dollars. On two hundred for example you're probably going to lose about a grand total of $10. over what you could have received from using a bank card...IF, and this is a big if, you don't get charged a withdrawal fee on the bank card. "

They have an exchange kiosk right on the first floor of the airport just before you go outside to the taxi. No reason to stop on the way.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: american money???

The new law has been in effect since September of 2010...surprised more people are not aware of not bringing US Dollars into Mexico. Mexico is pesos, US Dollars are for the USA...why would you expect a foreign country to automatically want whatever you try to bring in??

Read the new law...Mexico needs all the help they can get from all of us to stop the USD helping the Drug Lords...please understand it...

…usatoday.com/destinations/…1

Edited: 18 January 2014, 03:04