We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions of excursions off-resort

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
164 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions of excursions off-resort

My husband and I and our two children (11 and 8) will be staying at the Riu in early April and I'm trying to get an idea of some things to do outside of the resort. I would like to do some kind of boat trip, but am not sure about the best options. My kids have never been on the ocean or in the ocean so this will be a new experience. My 11 year old and I both get motion sick, so want to keep that in mind as well. They would love whale watching but my understanding is that the whales will not be around by then. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

Definitely take your family to the aquarium. They have a wonderful sea lion show, many exhibits, and a really fun bird show. And just next door I believe there is a park with a playground. The King David Jungle Tour is also great. It does involve riding in a boat but nothing out in the open water.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
408 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

Definitely visit Stone Island. A very short "water taxi" ride and a short walk to one of the restaurants like Lety's. Lot's of open beach and very relaxing to sit and be brought your Coco Locos or whatever.

3. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 03:39
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

All great suggestions but if you're not already very familiar with Mazatlan I would recommend your first tour be a city tour so you can get your bearings and cruise the Malecon, visit the Pino Suarez market, Plazuela Machado, the light house and several other old town sites. Your hotel can arrange it or you can just hire a Pulmonia driver for a negotiable fee, usually 20-30 dollars and hour. I know Gillian and several others on this site have favorite pulmonia drivers they could suggest.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

I wanna do a catamaran trip this year. Probably over to Deer Island. Probably from AquaSports between El Cid and Al Agua. Had a great experience with them this last trip when my son wanted to jet ski - again! Great guys! I've also been talking about going kayaking but haven't gone yet.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

All good suggestions so far. Stone Island would be nice because if the kids like horseback riding they have very gentle horses there in which the owner will go with children. There are also quads for rent there that the kids(and young at hart) might enjoy. The water taxi ride is something they will certainly enjoy.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
164 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

So, Stone Island sounds like a definite plan. Do I need to make reservations for the horses - I assume not but thought I should check? I read some where that Stone Island is pretty much cash only, so any idea how much to take? Is that a trip where you plan on being there for the day?

I also like the idea of a tour of the city. My husband and I try to do that in every new place we go to so that we can get a better feel for the area. So I would take any suggestions about who to contact for a tour and also how long will such a tour usually be?

King David's Jungle tour sounds fun as well, but I'm not sure we will have time to fit that in (what with all the time spent doing nothing - which is the main objective of this trip).

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

No reservations needed for the horses. You can also rent horses along the main beach in the Golden Zone and they used to come from Playa Bruja near the RIU so you should be able to rent them out there as well.

If you go to Stone Island I would plan for most of the day. They have horses, banana boats, quads etc. And lots of restaurants to choose from. Lety's is popular as mentioned, as is Victor's and Carmelita's. Do a search on this site. There are tours that take you there but there is lots of information on how to take a bus from the RIU and then take the water taxi over and walk the beach which, in my opinion, is a better experience, cheaper and you get to choose where you want to eat lunch. Basically you take the Sabalo Centro bus right to the end of the line, cross the street to the water taxi, pay 25 pesos each return for the water taxi and then you are right on the beach (there is another water taxi that leaves from a different location that takes you to a different drop off location if you want to walk through the village). If you do a search on this site, I know I posted a previous post, maybe about a year ago, that gives more detailed instructions on how to bus there and where you pick up the bus to get back. But, trust me, it's easy. A taxi or pulmonia is also very easy if you prefer to go that way.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

A slight correction. Don't take the Sabalo Centro bus to the end of the line...ask to be let off at La Puntilla restaurant...and walk right across the street to the dirt track to the boats.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions of excursions off-resort

My mistake - I thought that was the end!