We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booze and beach

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
booze and beach

is it allowed to walk the beach with beer \ mixed drink in hand ?

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: booze and beach

I have heard conflicting reports of the legality of drinking on the beach and Malecon.

However, if it is illegal there are tens of thousands of violators. It is done all of the time.

Glass is illegal on the beach or Malecon. Pacifico and maybe others have non-returnable plastic bottles and you will see them. They look like glass but aren't as dangerous as they don't break.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booze and beach

I do it on occasion and have never had any issues. The resorts and hotels place trash receptacles along the beach by their properties to throw your empties.

It would be nice if everybody used them. Most people do but as Cabanabob indicated there are still many who don't and that's a shame.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 14:42
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booze and beach

We use our Bubba mugs for that!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: booze and beach

when we were in bucerias ,we could buy a beer at any store and freely wonder around town with it.

is this allowed in old town ,golden zone at the market ?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
956 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: booze and beach

The new mayor says yes, as long as you are not causing trouble :)

…blogspot.mx/2014/01/mayor-clarifies-public-…

Edited: 03 February 2014, 15:55
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booze and beach

Technically public consumption is illegal throughout the country. Usually ignored for tourists unless they are out of line. Can be frowned on away from tourist zones. Best indicator? Watch locals.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: booze and beach

It is against the law. How/if/when it is enforced is an entirely different thing.

Simply for the reason of good manners, especially true if you're a visiting guest, you shouldn't do it. Walking around town drinking or even on the Malecon is inappropriate in my opinion.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booze and beach

As Poolds pointed out, the mayor has specifically addressed the issue in regards to tourists. If you are stumbling around smashed, loud, swearing, you COULD still have a problem. Other than that, probably not. I see folks ALL the time walk out of a bar with a plastic cup walking down the beach, strolling the Mlaecon, walking around the historic center, etc.

IF you are ever accosted for this by a policeman (Here in Mazatlan), DON'T be intimidated. There might still be a couple corrupt cops who will try to shake a tourist down, though it is exceedingly rare. If one trys to shake you down, just smale and say "OK! I want to see a Mexican jail anyway! Lets go.' and watch the problem disappear. No bribe means no money, means no problem.

IF you are not comfortable doing that, say 'OK Will ten dollars pay my fine?' (I once, on a trip north a few months ago, was pulled over by a cop in I think Navajoa. I knew it was a shake down as I was not speeding. He actually asked me 'How much money do you have?' I told him it was none of his business. He asked again, and I told him 'Enough. And it is still none of your business.' His response? A sigh and 'go ahead then.'

9. Re: booze and beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 21:46
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: booze and beach

Very well said Roger!!! Folks are way eager to just pay the mordida and make it go away. And all that accomplishes is fueling the problem that Mexico wants to get rid of. On the other hand, if you're busted getting high, drinking in public, fighting...etc....then pay it I guess. It's hard to advise folks to get caught up in the Mexico system (which you can end up doing 12 months waiting to get to court for a 20 day sentence) to not pay the bribe if they are really guilty.

Moral of the story, use your head and stay under the radar. It really is not difficult.