We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be aware

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Be aware

Mazatlan is a great, safe place. But it is not the garden of eden.

This afternoon, around 1 p.m., a couple who live here and are not novices, were walking on the Malecon, north of the cliff divers and just south of Los Pinos, when a couple guys on a motor cycle snatched the lady's very thin gold necklace. One guy was parked with the bike on a corner, the other snuck up behind them, grabbed the necklace, and ran to the motorcycle and they were gone.

This is a very difficult type of crime to prevent, but use situational awareness. If you see two guys on a motorcycle, eyeball them. Don't confront them. Just make eye contact. Let them know you see them. If they seem to be looking at you, if the make a U turn, if they drive around the block, STOP. Again, you don't have to confront them. Just stop, put your back against a building (Or the sea wall if on the Malecon) and face them. They rely on surprise. If they cannot sneak up behind you, their plan is down the drain. Cross the street. Walk up to other people. Go in a store. Just break up their plan. They are not into hard work to rob you. They are lazy and cowards. Anything you can do will foil their plan. But you must make yourself aware.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be aware

Thank you Roger. Are they just punks or are they packing anything that could hurt you?

I love walking the Malecon and I'm never aware of my surroundings. I'll try to be now though.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Be aware

I was the victim of the same kind of attempted robbery and assault last February.

Yes, I was foolishly wearing a gold chain in Mazatlan.

We were walking across the bridge from the Marina toward the El Cid Marina entrance. We noticed a guy walk up the street and disappear behind the wall at the El Cid golf course property. I had a bad feeling and I did take off the chain and put it in my pocket. When we cleared the wall I looked but did not see him. Seconds later I was grabbed from behind and his hand was down my shirt. He wasn't prepared for two elbows in the ribs. My wife hit him with her beach bag and he took off running.

Jewelry is not advisable in Mazatlan!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be aware

This forum saved me when I was down a couple of years ago...I had seen the bicycle guy warning...how he would roam the streets back behind LaSiesta...I left the El Cid and moved for my stay at the LaSiesta and it was a quiet Sunday afternoon. I went for a walk...and there he was...right away I knew I needed to get back to the Malecon and the LaSiesta...It is notices like this that warn those of us who are coming on down as to the latest.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be aware

Good solid advice!! Keep the bling at home.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Be aware

Good heads up Roger.

You gotta wonder tho...what good would that kind of score would really do for them?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be aware

Good, honest information that is important and travel-related. Thanks for posting.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be aware

I leave my bling at home. Every trip it is fun to go through my jewellery purchases from Mexico and wear them on my vacation. Thanks for the tourist related warning to keep our heads up and leave gold at home.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Be aware

Thanks for the reminders. When you reference leaving your gold at home, do you mean wedding rings also? We have always worn our wedding rings in the past but maybe we were not wise to do so.

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
558 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Be aware

My wedding ring is staying home....

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be aware

It is harder to snatch a gold wedding band because most are on tight...however, if you have a valuable diamond ring leave it at home and buy a cheap silver one here if you think you need one.