We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Quelite worth a trip?

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
El Quelite worth a trip?

In another thread, I saw where someone mentioned a "tour" to El Quelite. In all the years we've been going to Maz and been driving to Lake El Salto, we've never ventured to what appears to be a quaint little town on the way. Is a drive there for the day warranted if for nothing more to eat at the restaurant there?

Onca Explorations
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Mazatlan Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

I would highly recommend against hiring just anyone to drive you anywhere outside Mazatlan.

Doing that resulted in the deaths of five Minnesotans several years ago.

You do not know anything about their driving, insurance, vehicle condition, nothing.

In this crash the driver, in a rented Suburban, lost control near the electric plant and crossed into the opposing lanes resulting in a head on collision. The drivers wife and the five from Minnesota were killed. The concrete barrier was installed in this area just after that.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

I agree--further go with someone that knows where everything is in El Quilete. While it is a small village, all the good things to visit are not easy to find.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

Sinaloa Adventures will take you there (for 6 people) for $40 US per person. I am working with them on another tour and they quoted me this price. I have not used them yet but I have booked them for a few things for my visit and they are great to work with over email. http://sinaloaadventures.com/site/

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,290 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

Will you please report back and let me know how you did on your tours? I am most concerned about the comfort level in the vehicle...want my husband to be enjoying himself...

When are you going?? You can PM me privately if you wish about your thoughts on the tours...Let me know what other ones you took...too. I have to keep him busy...as he is not the beach type/beer drinker kind...and this will not be a working vacation for me, so no hotel inspections/photos for my business. Just a serious vacation!!

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

Thanks for all the input. I did a bit of research since I posted the original ? and located quite a bunch of info and videos on YTube. A drive there is now on our schedule come Oct.

AguaMaz,

I've likely accumulated more than 1K miles on horses or mules in some of the most beautiful country in NA over the past 50 years, so a burro ride isn't something that gets my adrenalin level way up there.

PS: is there a mall at El Quelite with a Costco attached like the Christown Mall in Phoenix? I did a Google streetview and couldn't find one:. LOL

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
809 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

'PS: is there a mall at El Quelite with a Costco attached like the Christown Mall in Phoenix? I did a Google streetview and couldn't find one:. LOL'

hahahaha. Unfortunately there most likely will be eventually.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
116 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

I agree with what you are hearing above. You should go with someone who knows the town. I also think Saturday is better than Sunday.

Don't know when you are coming, but once you have your dates, check to see if there are any special events in El Quelite during the time you're here. Special events are usually on Sunday and can range from a demonstration of Ulama or a rodeo.

Also, I live the cock fighting training center, but if you are at all into animal rights or anything like that, you might want to pass. Just sayin...

Black Hawk
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

And if you love Carne Asada then stop at the road side restaurant on hwy 15 about 10km before the turn off to El Quelite. It's called La Curva. It's on a curve. Eaten there many times it's so good! Only espanol spoken.

Enjoy!

1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

El Quelite enjoys its own "busline." A local family owns a pair of late-model Mercedes Benz coaches that operate daily on a regular schedule.

In El Quelite you can flag down the bus to Mazatlan almost anywhere on the main street, Calle Juarez. In Mazatlan, the El Quelite bus operates from a position on the street BEHIND the main bus terminal, not from within the terminal.

I don't remember the complete schedule or fare, but I think the fare is around $30 (PESOS). per person, one way. One mid-day bus arrives in El Quelite just before noon, daily. The last bus out to Mazatlan leaves at 4:00 p.m.

Enjoy your visit.

20. Re: El Quelite worth a trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16