We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Safe is Mexico?

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
How Safe is Mexico?

I just saw this article online. Although it is not about Mazatlan, I thought it would be of interest.

banderasnews.com/1308/…

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
6,953 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

An older read (2013), but still quite interesting.

Se diviertan!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

That article is hilarious!! It says "According to NationMaster.com which uses U.N.-based data, Mexico doesn't even make the list of the 36 nations with the highest murder rates. Mild-mannered nations like Sweden and Switzerland top Mexico for murders on NationMaster.com." Mexico doesn't make the list because it was not covered by the survey ("Murders per capita")! If you look at the "Murder Rate" table you see that Mexico has around 20 times the rate of Sweden or Switzerland (and that is only about half the correct figure because of technical definitions). Only some South/Central American and African countries have a higher murder rate than Mexico. And anyone who seriously thinks Canada has more kidnappings than Mexico is seriously deluded.

Why do all articles on this subject have to be so extremist?? Yes, Mexico is safe to visit but let's not justify this by writing lies.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

In the end any discussion about safety in Mexico should always include the following three indisputable, and critical facts:

1. The majority of incidents focused on by the NOB press occur within 50 miles of the US / Mexican border. An area that few Americans and virtually no Canadians visit

2. Random violence and killing (AKA shooting up a school or Walmart) is an anathema to the Mexican culture and unheard of in that country

3. Violence is targeted and criminal vs. criminal. People not involved in the drug trade -- particularly Gringos who already stand out as different -- are ignored. In fact it's highly likely that foreign tourists are more in danger of being a victim in their own country

Sensationalism and lies have created this great urban myth tourists are mortal danger if they visit Mexico. For example Gov. Jan Brewer telling the press there were "severed heads found in the desert" of southern Arizona. That was a blatant fabrication she didn't admit to for months, but unfortunately by that time the damage had already been done.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

This article has popped up a number of times and previously been rebuked as hugely flawed. The idea behind it is that Mexico is not as violent as you may think. Most gringos would agree with that. But the stats quoted really make the article sound so made up.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

Crime stats generally world-wide are pretty skewed. The US, Canada and UK do a pretty decent job as enforcement is very vigilant. While Mexico is NOTHING like what you read about in the media and saw on the media, very many crimes go unreported and so often are never solved. Especially in the rural and south.

London, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

I'm a female solo traveller and have travelled in Chiapas, Veracruz and Sinaloa states over the last 4 months and feel extremely safe. Mexican people are very friendly, helpful and respectful and I have had no trouble at all

I hate the way the (US, and so UK) media portray this beautiful country and people.

Statistics....anyone who has had to prepare reports and work with statistics will know exactly how useful and meanigful these are!

Come and see for yoursel!

Mentioned in this post
Sinaloa
Sinaloa
Pacific Coast, Mexico
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

You don't have to convince me. I live in the US and Mexico. Mexico is MUCH safer as per crime.

There is a lot of BS in Mexico tho, but if you put it all in perspective, it's a great place.

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
1,219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

Why would you even post this? Maybe to get people upset?

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

I live 6 months in Mexico and 6 months in Wash state. There is a lot of BS in both places, but that is part of life. Personally I feel safer in Mazatlan then in the US.

10. Re: How Safe is Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 18:23
Edited: 28 March 2015, 18:23