We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting through Mexico City to Mazatlan

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting through Mexico City to Mazatlan

I usually do a lot of research on the forums when I am traveling, but somehow I missed this issue. We went to Mazatlan for a short 4 night stay in January, and we flew through Mexico City from Dallas as there was no direct flights with the package I bought. We had no idea that we needed to re-check our luggage in Mexico City. If someone said it, it must have been in Spanish. When we checked in at the airport in Dallas with Air Mexico, it seems like that would have been a good time to tell us. Because we did not know this, our luggage did not make it to Mazatlan. We had to go back to the airport to fill out forms, and then when the luggage finally arrived late the next day, we had to take another taxi ride back to pick it up.

While our trip was not ruined, it did put a damper on it and cost us some extra money. Be sure not to make our same mistake.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Connecting through Mexico City to Mazatlan

I really appreciate the kind words, as I felt like it was not our fault at the time. However, I'm sure Aeromexico saw it as our error, so they were not overly helpful at all. And then there was the language barrier challenges... Oh well! LIve and learn. We will definitely know next time:)

We stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay and loved it. It was so slow since it was January that we never had to wait on the elevators and never experienced large crowds. Since we only stayed 4 nights, I'm afraid to say that we never left the property. We usually do some kind of excursion or sight seeing, but I am a middle school teacher, and I just wanted to rest and recharge. It was the perfect place. The only thing we did a couple of times was walk down the beach to a cute restaurant to have some good beer and excellent guacamole, as well as reliable wi-fi.

There were a lot of vendors on the beach at the resort, but they could not approach us due to a rope blocking them. I bought a few things and an awesome massage in the tent on the beach. Very inexpensive!

The next time we go, we will definitely get out and about to explore!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Connecting through Mexico City to Mazatlan

Oh, and ferd62, I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm sure next time we would have lugged them up the stairs. I guess most of our flight just had carry ons or stayed in Mex City because we didn't see anyone with big suitcases at customs or my husband would have clued in. He is much more observant than me! The only issue we ran into was having little bottles of vodka in our carry on that we did not declare. It was sad seeing that thrown away. Guess we learned a lot on that trip now that I think about it:)

13. Re: Connecting through Mexico City to Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 18:23
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Connecting through Mexico City to Mazatlan

I wouldn't have known about the luggage either. That is a good tip. Thanks for your report.

15. Re: Connecting through Mexico City to Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan
Recent Conversations