We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Mazatlan by-pass road

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Level Contributor
377 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The Mazatlan by-pass road

It won't be long before we head south again to Guayabitos, Nayarit. I was wondering whether the new by-pass road from north of Mazatlan to south has been completed or when it is expected to open.

Thanks for any news.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

No it is not open yet, and I just passed by the still closed ramps on Monday. However it sure looks close, as everything you can actually see if finished. That being said there is supposedly a problem with the land (didn't catch exactly what it was) that needs to be crossed for the connection between the bypass and the airport. So that option apparently won't be available at the time the bypass officially opens.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 02:25
Calgary
Level Contributor
377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

Thanks, will keep our fingers crossed; may have to spend a few days in Mazatlan anyway!

Mexico City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

Dear Calgary.-

The Mazatlán by-pass road could open in October. It is 31 km long and could mean up to 30 minutes less rather than crossing thru Mazatlán.

Happy Trails!

Leach

Calgary
Level Contributor
377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

Thanks for the news- let's hope it opens.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

Can't wait, I see the huge Pemex at the south end is already open.......

Mexico City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

Dear Calgary.-

The Mazatlán By-Pass will open in October. Probably, the first days of the month. I´ll try to confirm the date.

Will have 2 lanes each way. You´ll be able to save between 30 and 40 minutes, this new way.

Happy Trails!

Leach

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

The bypass isn't open yet, and the first week of October may be somewhat optimistic. I'd love to be wrong, as it's going to be Godsend for to avoid traffic and reducing the number of cars going into Maz. Usually when something opens like this there's a big event planned, with a fair amount of advance warning it's going to take place.

Nothing's been heard yet, so that probably puts us at least toward the middle of October. We go out that way for surfing, so if we haven't heard anything specific by the first week of October I'll drive to the Federale station near the bypass ramps and ask if they know anything.

Calgary
Level Contributor
377 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

Any update would be much appreciated- we plan to leave Nogales on October 26 so would be passing through Mazatlan October 27. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

I know they're supposed to be having an issue putting through a road off the bypass to the airport, and also a big rain storm a while back required some some work to be redone and slowed things down. You're timing for the 27th is probably going to be close, but we'll keep our fingers crossed and work on an update early next month.

Calgary
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Mazatlan by-pass road

Deae Oakside, good chance, I will come to rincon, about Oct 19, maybe we can meet up. Didn't bring ay golf balls this time but wiill when I return on Nov.2. I will be looking for 54-5 week accomodation in Ricon or MAz at that time. It is dependant on how this initial 4-5 week stay in mZT( presently) works out. I am starting to check out long -term rentals.saludos