We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need opinions: Airport to Walmart to Hotel, or what?

Murfreesboro
7 posts
Save Topic
Need opinions: Airport to Walmart to Hotel, or what?

This sounds so silly. We are arriving at about 10:30 and of course can't check in until the afternoon. We are at PB Emerald which sounds like a remote location. I'd love to pick up some fruit, snacks, beer for the days we are there and don't want to eat a full meal at the resort restaurants.

Does it make sense (with our luggage) to take a taxi to Walmart (or Gigante), make our purchases, and then go to the resort. Would the taxi wait? Would it be worth the price? Should we just go straight to the resort and relax and make our excursion the next day? With only 5 days (and without the kids) we want to maximize our relaxing and reading and being together.

Thanks in advance!

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need opinions: Airport to Walmart to Hotel, or what?

For folks going to Emerald Bay, the taxis are now using (I'm told) a newly paved, shorter route that bypasses all of the regular superstores except the new Soriana store on the bypass highway.

It's a bit of a push to expect a taxi driver to wait for you for something as long as a shopping trip. He would definitely expect a sizable tip (normally, taxi drivers in Mexico are NOT tipped), or you could ask him how much (at the airport) extra he would charge for that service. If it's more than a trip to Gigante (the closest superstore to Emerald Bay) the next morning, just go the next day. If it's less, you're the big winner.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need opinions: Airport to Walmart to Hotel, or what?

I would sugest you go to the hotel first, you check in, you leave your luggage with the porter and THEN you get a cab and go while your room's ready.

Believe me, with only 5 days why would you want to spend half a day going to Walmart? Go before your vacation officialy starts.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need opinions: Airport to Walmart to Hotel, or what?

My opinion differs. I believe you shuld ask the driver to take you to Gigante, ask him how much he would charge you to wait while you do your shopping. You will be right on the Golden Zone cut-off road to the northern part of Mazatlan where PB Emerald Bay is located. You will use the time to pick up your snacks and have them there and your short five days will not be interrupted by a long ride to a supermarket. Once you get to the hotel, try to check in. If the room is not available yet they will let you put your stuff in a secure place (possibly your room while it is being cleaned). And you can go on and have a lunch--with your snacks.

Murfreesboro
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need opinions: Airport to Walmart to Hotel, or what?

Thanks for the opinions. I don't want to burn vacation time at a supermarket (eee gads!). But, we're not breakfast eaters, and I'm yearning for relaxing, snacking, napping and going out for a nice dinner in the evening.

However, the thought of schlepping all the stuff in one trip is daunting. That's why I need to hear from people who know the place and the locations of stuff. I still don't know if I should use the PB Emerald transportation or a taxi.

The day I never thought would get here is coming soon! Now I need to take care of the details.

Thanks.

c

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need opinions: Airport to Walmart to Hotel, or what?

I think you already answered your own questioin--if you only have five days and you want to spend max time relaxing and having fun--take the taxi. I thought I made that clear in my first posting.

6. Re: Need opinions: Airport to Walmart to Hotel, or what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 18:16