We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rude Behavior

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
492 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Rude Behavior

I read a recent post saying the thing to do at the beach is to go down early and put your towels on the beach lounges for later use..so in your opinion which is more rude.. to do that or to show up at the beach see no available lounges..only empty lounges with towels on them and move the towels and use the available lounges??This has happened to us numerous times and husband has always just moved the towels..what do other people do??

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
705 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rude Behavior

Hello

I just sit somewhere else. I'm on vacation down there and I don't worry about it.

hope this helps

mark

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rude Behavior

I think people who get up in the morning and go put towels on chairs around the pools to "reserve" are rude and inconsiderate of other people. It's pathetic how they feel they're entitled to monopolize the facilities while depriving others of what they paid for. Although I have never done it, I think it's wonderful that you move the towels as long as you stack them neatly near you so if confronted, they can get their towels back.

It's one thing for people who go to the bathroom and return to find their chair gone, to take their chair would be rude, so be sure to wait long enough to make sure somebody truly isn't using it first.

I wish resorts would prohibit this saving crap. I have sat on a balcony and watched one person go down to the pool and place up to ten towels around and then not show up for over four hours, after going to breakfast and who knows what, and then show up with only a couple people to start with. Those people are rude. Not you.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
492 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rude Behavior

Thank you..thats exactly what I'm talking about..

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rude Behavior

I agree!

I would find that very rude! If you are not using it, let someone else!

But I dont think everyone does it to be rude, I imagine many do it because its whats done.

Its up to the resort to control that if they can.

Level Contributor
465 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rude Behavior

Putting your towels down and saving groups of chairs for hours without occupying any of them is totally rude behavior. In fact it's actually very selfish behavior.

We just got back from Mazatlan after staying there for 2 weeks. We had a room that looked out directly at the entire pool area so we could observe people coming and going from the pool area very well. The first week we were there, there was absolutely no "chair-saving" activity. It worked out really well. When you wanted to be at the pool, there were always any type of seating you wanted, in the sun, out of the sun, near the restaurant, with umbrellas or without, etc..... Then when you left for more than an hour or so, you picked your stuff up with you so somebody else could enjoy a few hours.

The second week we were there the pool scene changed. We noticed large groups of "saved" chairs starting earlier than 8am that would go unoccupied for up to 4 hours. This went on the entire week.

Something we noticed was the first week we were there there were very few Americans/Canadians at the resort. We were one group out of a small handful. There were mostly European and Mexican families that week. The second week the resort was mainly occupied by American/Canadian tourists which we observed were the ones who were doing all of the "chair-saving" activity.

So, can it be that this "chair-saving ritual" is a selfish cultural custom that is driven by bad manners and unhealthy competition????? If so, I am embarassed by my fellow American citizens.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
492 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rude Behavior

tricia..I think you hit it right on.. we are a anglo couple ..but live in southern colorado ..most of our friends are hispanic.. we have been going to mexico for the last 15 years..we are truley emparrased by the antic's of some americans..we quit going to the cancun..playa side just because of this.. things like ..do we tip at a al resort..of course you tip...see how some of these resort workers live.. not only tip..but tip well..i think we all need to make a effort to become a less "deserving" society..these locals'do not owe us anything..I am tired of seeing the americans become stumbly drunk in the niteclubs..being pushy..watching them do thinngs they would not do at home..

British Columbia
Level Contributor
337 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rude Behavior

When we visited last February, we had no problems at the quiet pool at the Pueblo Bonito. But the owners pool and beach at the El Cid was a different story, which we discovered our second week.

We were told by some owners that they have seen folks go down to the beach sites WITH A FLASHLIGHT because its still dark, just to get a lounge! In 7 days we were never able to get one and most were unoccupied for most of the day.

That said, I think its rude to move towels and belongings off a lounge. If you are sure the offender has left for several hours then speak to security and have them make the move. Do you really think you could relax after taking over someones lounge?

As stated earlier, I'm there for a vacation and although the practise is rude, it is common. Just find a lounge and move it where you want. If there are no lounges then go for a walk on the beach.

JMHO

Labbysmom

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
685 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rude Behavior

If I may add my 2cents....

What gets me is these people usually put their towles by the "kids" pool area and dont have any children. Having a 5 year old and not being able to be in a chair by thte children's area to safely watch him without being in the pool all day is annoying. More so its frustrating.

I usually go down around 9 and we show up just after we eat. It usually is no longer than a little more than an hour depending on the mood of the 5 year old. By then even all the "good" chairs are resevred by Mr. & Mrs. '"Towel"

I wouldnt be offended if Resorts put a stop to this. I wish they would inforce it.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rude Behavior

This has been going on in resorts in Mazatlan since at least 1985. I doubt that it will change. My suggestion is to either fall in with the rude behavior or let it go and don't let it spoil your vacation.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rude Behavior

This has been going on in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa, Acapulco, Cancun, Mazatlan, and probably many other places for as long as I can remember. It is rude.

And if you have children who are going in the pool and there are a bunch of empty chairs with towels draped over them, just ask an attendant to please take the ABANDONED towels away and enjoy the pool with your children. That goes for people without kids as well.

My guess is the only people who would have a problem with this is somebody who practices this, quote, it's all mine and only mine, end quote, behavior. Don't let bad behavior ruin the vacation you saved for and paid for. But as I said before, just make sure somebody actually isn't coming right back and using the chairs. And if they do, just give up those seats and find others.

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan