We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

girls - what do you wear?

Salem, OR
Level Contributor
269 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
girls - what do you wear?

Don't want to pack a purse around; I do have a 'back pack' style purse but don't want to look dorkish : ]

How do you carry your 'essentials' while touring around?

Any suggestions on clothing for May weather?

I like to pack light.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: girls - what do you wear?

I still carry purses when I'm down there, but smaller ones. I just carry essentials...hotel key, money, lip gloss, sunglasses, a pad of paper and pen,b usually.

May weather will be warm with a tinge of humidity. Light colours and fabrics are best. I've been in October, November, January, February, March and July...I tend to pack a lot of bathingsuits and shorts/tanks for the daytime, sundresses and/or skirts and nice tank tops for night time.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: girls - what do you wear?

We always had a back pack when we went on daytrips. I used my pockets alot while there. I'm a girl very much into my purses but it was a hassel. The only time I really used one is when I went shopping. I got one of those cute straw purses.

We went last MAY. I was just startign to get humid. I wore noting but shorts and tank tops during the day. For dinners I wore sundresses. I brought 2 with me and traded off everynight. Bring 3 swimsuits. They take 2 days to dry. Also, get a a sunscreen with a high SPF. Also, dont just pack tank tops. I got burnt on my shoulders and was glad I brought a couple of T-shirts.

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
487 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: girls - what do you wear?

When we go out for the day I bring a back pack and make my husband carry it of course. We make sure to bring some water, camera, money, sunscreen, tissue, hat..................and whatever else.

Beats carrying around a purse over the shoulder.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: girls - what do you wear?

I still carry a purse...I actually bring a few small ones (to match my outfits) but they are big enough to hold money, cameras, and essentials.

I wear sundress and skorts with tank tops for evening and I live in a bathing suits during the day...I pack a lot of bathing suits and a few cover ups.

Salem, OR
Level Contributor
269 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: girls - what do you wear?

thanks girls -- Kubbie, I have my hubby carry the backpack too :)

Shorts and tanks sound so comfy --- but I don't have many sundresses or sarong/coverups ... should I be getting some before I travel or are there plenty on PV to buy?

Where in Los Muertos beach area would you suggest an inexpensive womens clothes shopping first stop -- my hubby is interested in huraches too.

Red Deer, Alberta
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: girls - what do you wear?

There are sooo many to buy there. I bought way to much before we went in January and could have bought it all in PV for much cheaper. Definitely wait until you get there to buy sarongs, sundresses, etc.

I took a small purse with me when we went. And then I wore it cross wise (over my head, across my chest) and then I didn't have to worry about it slipping off my shoulder all the time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,707 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: girls - what do you wear?

I carry an oversized fabric pocketbook (often tropical print or beach striped) with a zipper top. I use it on the plane for my carry-on. It can double as a beach bag, or I buy a new basket for that purpose at the start of the trip.

I also have a very small Fossil leather purse, that I use when I don't need a bunch of stuff. Just big enough for camera, money, lipstick, hairbrush, sunglasses, notepad, kleenex, passport.

I don't wear sundresses myself (not my style) & take: tank tops, nice tshirts, shorts, and a couple pair loose lightweight capri pants for evenings.

Take a pair of sneakers or sturdy shoes of some sort. You might not think it for a beach vacation, but I walk a LOT every day in PV. And often it's a bit rough with stairs, cobblestones, steep curbs, etc.

You can easily buy a couple new sarong/pareo once you are there. Make a deal with one of the beach vendors, right on Playa Los Muertos, your first day. Get a straw hat too. There are all kinds of places for clothes, from cheap to expensive.

Pack light. You don't need much at all in Vallarta, and you can easily rinse out things in the sink or drop clothes at a launderia mid-trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: girls - what do you wear?

To add to what suze said about shoes...

Leave the ultra high heels or brand new shoes at home. Don't use your vacation to break them in, you'll suffer tremendously. Blisters somewhere like Vallarta, where part of the magic of vacationing there is the strolling around discovering the city, can be a huge detriment.

As far as the ultra high heels, unless you're used to walking on uneven pavement and cobblestones in them (missing stones included), you should leave them at home instead of risking a broken ankle. You will see local women speeding around town in slinky little heels all the time, however they have had years of practice at it, trust me. LOL

The important thing about the sundresses is...quite often on the beach or in the tiendas the sizes can be quite tiny - tiny like in, size 4-6-8. There are a few places that sell larger sizes, and there is one vendor I know of on the beach at Playa Los Muertos who sells beautiful coloured sundresses in sizes 10 up to plus sizes. I'm hoping my friend Deb sees this, because she knows her name and has bought from her every year. She does beautiful sweeping blouses too, which go equally nice with skirts or capris for evening.

So be sure if you're going to buy one, try it on first. They don't have size tags so you need to be your own model. (-:

Oh - and take a small bottle of either gentle cycle liquid detergent (like Woolite or something) or a bottle of bathingsuit detergent you can buy at places that specialize in cruisewear and swimsuits. Use this to rinse the salt and/or chlorine out of your suits each day, which will help prevent colour fading and deterioration of the lycra and elastic.

Salem, OR
Level Contributor
269 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: girls - what do you wear?

Sounds perfect -- thanks so much for your insight!

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,707 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: girls - what do you wear?

An additional tip to go along with your Woolite... I always tuck in a couple molded plastic hangers in the side pocket of my suitcase. Or buy a dozen after you arrive (you'll see them at street vendors really cheap). They're helpful to have for washing out clothes and drying bathing suits, and often (at least at my hotels) they only have wire hangers or too few available.

Since you mention Playa Los Muertos, I'll assume you're staying in that area. Elsa's Launderia on Olas Altas is a great service. Drop your clothes in the morning, pick them up wash, dried, folded in the evening. Especially great for towels, socks, heavier stuff you can't easily do up in the sink. Don't take delicates or stuff that will fade in a mixed batch of washing.