We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraud Alert and request for assistance

winona, Mn.
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Fraud Alert and request for assistance

On my recent trip to PV, my spouse purchased an opal from the "Opal MIne" on the Malacon. She took it to a local jewler to have it mounted. IT WAS PLASTIC! It cost her $100 US so it is not the end of the world, but the idea of fraud is rather disappointing to say the least. My question for the board, what recourse does she have? We have the "Certificate of authenticity" from the Opal Mine, for what ever that is worth. I would gladly send the "stone" along with any board member going to PV that would be willing to confront this fraud in my behalf. Ideas? Thanks for listening. Spook.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

If you paid cash - sorry. If you used a credit card, they should be able to help.

winona, Mn.
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

Of course she paid cash. I have written it off to a life experience, but others be warned, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THE OPAL MINE IN PV. Some lessons in life are more expensive than this one. And so it goes. Thanks for your reply. Spook.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

To add to what senorbobo said - if you did pay by credit card you can also report this to PROFECO in Mexico with your supporting documentation, along with disputing the charge with your card provider.

If you paid cash, well, chalk it up to live n' learn never to shop the Malecon...I never do, it's a tourist trap designed for cruise ship traffic.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

You can still report it to PROFECO. They may do something, they may do nothing, but at least you can say you reported it and did what you could.

winona, Mn.
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

Thanks, do you have the contact information of the this organization?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

That stinks, sorry to hear about that.

PVJenny ... where would you shop for silver/jewlery in PV?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

I have a link to a very helpful brochure for tourists from PROFECO:

profeco.gob.mx/revista/…welcometomex.pdf

It should have all the information you need to file a complaint.

~~~~~

Re: the question about silver:

I used to buy my silver from a friend who has since moved away to another town. I now buy from a gentleman on the south side named Roberto. He has a small tienda just off the Parque Lazardo Cardenas (unless they moved him during the construction). Nice selection, very fair pricing, authentic - and what isn't authentic he tells you isn't. I've found him to be excellent to deal with, AND he takes plastic. (-:

Roberto has been there for years, and came recommended highly by people I trust, so I have no qualms recommending him to anyone.

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

Put in on EBay with a starting price of $105

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

Thank-you Spook for the information. Many posts I have read on this forum have encouaged travelers to pay with pesos while shopping in PV, I too would have paid cash. Sorry this happened to you, I for one have learned from you misfortune.KJ

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraud Alert and request for assistance

With silver look for the 925 stamp. If not there, it's plated or sterling silver and not "pure".