We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Sick

Florham Park, New...
Level Contributor
229 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Sick

Can anyone tell me the name of the little pill the mexican dr will give you if you have the bacterial stomach problem in PV? Can you buy it over the counter in mexico?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Sick

Rather than medication, try yogurt. We eat it everyday for about 2 weeks before going to PV and every morning at breakfast while there. My wife who has a "tender" stomach swears by it.

Loomis, California
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Sick

My Dr. always gives me a prescription of Cipro before I leave for Mexico. I fill it here in the states and take it with me. I have never had to use it. Hope that helps, Jan

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Sick

Yogurt and acidophilus will help with day to day adjustments to different diet and such, and help ward off small tummy bugs. For that matter, for minor issues Pepto tends to address them quite well too.

Cipro should only be used if you develop something more severe, and should never be used as a preventative, only as a treatment.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
247 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Sick

Keflex

Florham Park, New...
Level Contributor
229 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Sick

Canadian Boy - Can you get Keflex over the counter in Mexico?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Sick

Be careful with Keflex, it is the same as Cipro - to be used as a treatment *after* you get sick, not as a preventativeto getting sick.

It's an antibiotic. You can Google it for more information.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Sick

I get sick everytime we go to Mexico and my husband never does. We leave for Cancun two weeks from tomorrow, so I am experimenting with Activia, started eating it yesterday. We'll see if it works or not.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Sick

We do acidophilus two weeks before, and two weeks after each trip. One trip my wife did not take it after returning home, and go a bit sick, you need to acclimate your system to northern food after a few week in Mexico.

And I also do not recommend Keflex or Cipro as a preventative, but yes, they are available at the farmacia without a Rx.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Sick

I spent the past 8 days in PV , just came back Saturday... we ate at the resort every day, had no problems with the food, everything was excellent! The last day, we went to the bar pretty late, came home around 4am and this small burger type joint was still open, I had a burger and the next day my stomach was very upset and had cramps/diarrhea for about 3-4 days.

Luckily it was on my last day of my trip, so it didn't ruin my vacation, and I wasn't vomitting at all, I could deal with it, wasn't that severe, but I would hate to have experienced it at the beginning or even so if it were much worse like a few other people told me that they had it worse... so if you could take something to avoid this, I recommend it!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Sick

"... for minor issues Pepto tends to address them quite well too."

Agree .. that's all (and in tablet form) we have ever taken (and only when needed) to address "upset" stomach problems, acid reflux, or the like experienced.