We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport-Apply Early!

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Passport-Apply Early!

Just a heads up if you still need a passport before your trip to PV. I have a passport but needed one for my son. We applied in person at a passport office where we live on January 18, 2007, still not here. I checked the online site today, it states; your requested passport will take six weeks from the day you applied... you can expect it "on or about March 24, 2007"! That's 65 days, a lot longer than 6 weeks! We fly out on March 29 to PV, that's cutting it pretty close.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

there were a few people on our flight last week that just used their drivers license and birth certificate for ID... didn't require a passport.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

funmom is flying to Vallarta from the US, and returning to the US.... the passport 'is' required for re-entry to the US, 'not' entry to Mexico.

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

Hi. Have I got news for you! I process passports at the Post Office here in Atlanta. We just received a new memo from the State Department regarding processing time for passports..We have been instructed to advise applicants that due to the large number of applications, it will now take 10 weeks for processing...If one wants to expedite the process it is now taking 3 to 4 weeks!! instead of 2.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

Hey hblu2, Since I was told 6 weeks at the post office where I live and read the same thing today on the passport website should I believe I will get the passport in time? The website says not to contact them unless you are traveling in less than 10 days. Would it make any difference if I contact them sooner?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

funmomwithteens....I will keep my fingers crossed for you! See you soon!

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

funmomwithteens...I would call them immediately. The 10 day stipulation is under "normal" circumstances.....they are not operating under normal circumstances now...they might be a bit rude but I think they will check for you. Good luck and keep me posted

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

what is the wait here in canada, anyone know? Would't it be quicker to get a child's passport done over a adult as there is less screaning?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

The wait in Canada I have heard is just as long. I just got back from PV and before I left I had sent in my passport really early and I ended up having to go to Vancouver and get them to give me 'same day service' because I was cut down to the day before I left! Not kidding I had to wait in line Friday and I left Saturday. I got in the line up in Vancouver at 6am and by 8am I'm not even kidding there was probably close to 400 ppl there. I wish everyone luck who is waiting for their passports :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

funmomwithteens-

My family was also affected by what we now call the "Passport Scam". We applied on January 19th at our local post office for a trip that departed on February 27th - plenty of time according to everything we read and were told by the post office. Of course, this was not the case at all.

Everytime I called the toll-free number to check on the status of our applications, we were given different, and often conflicting information - when we could actually get through. We ended up having to expedite and pay for overnight shipping and only received our documents the very day before we left. Talk about cutting it close! Total cost for 2 adults and 2 kids was $664 including $60 pp for the expedited service and $15 pp for overnight shipping.

One of my biggest complaints was that I was actually called by the processor on the Thursday before we left (left the following Tues). She had a couple of questions which we resolved. She promised me that our documents were to be shipped out to us that evening and would be received the next morning. She even told us that a signature would be required by FedEx, so someone would need to be home until 10:30am - the latest guaranteed time for next day morning delivery. When 10:30 came and went with no passports, I called FedEx to track the delivery by my address (no tracking numbers provided). They assured me that no delivery was scheduled to my address for that day. When I called the processor back to find out what was going on, she was off for the day!

I started dialing consecutive extensions and ended up talking to the Accounting Manager, of all people. She was extremely helpful and handled the completion of our applications personally. I had to have some faith, but she came through. Our documents arrived, as promised, on Monday - less than 24 hours before our departure.

Oh, and here's another question. Why couldn't they just put all of our passports in ONE envelope to be delivered? We all live at the same address and they all went out together. But no, we had to pay to overnight each individual document separately.

I'm convinced that it doesn't matter how early you apply. Your applications will sit in limbo until a couple of weeks before your departure date at which time you will be forced to cough up an additional $75 pp to have them expedited so you will barely get them in time for your trip. SCAM! Not to mention the stress!!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport-Apply Early!

It's not so much about applying early in Canada as it is the method by which you apply.

If you're applying in person you get processed quicker. Going to the post office means getting processed by mail and those applications are taking much longer due to backlog. My friend who applied in person had his passport back in 3 weeks, and he applied here in Calgary, downtown.

That piece of information has been in the mainstream media for a year now, including the recommendations that you apply BEFORE January 1st whether you needed the passport or not. It's not like this was some big state secret until December 31st...I read about it before January 1, 2006!

Screening and doing the due diligence on a passport isn't like walking into the local Tim Hortons and ordering a double-double, folks. It takes skilled workers with expertise in certain aspects of investigation, and those people are not exactly falling from trees. If you delayed applying, expect to wait, it's as simple as that. They are also not responsible for what is on the government website - the government is, so expressing your displeasure with your local affiliated passport office isn't going to change that - they are employees, they don't make the rules. If you want the change in wait times noted on the website, write to your MP!