We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
510 posts
10 reviews
NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

Hey Guys – first off – a big thanks on helping me find accommodations for PVR. This forum is the most helpful – I have been trying to post on DF and SMA forums and people are not as enthusiastic as this lovely forum – so thank you!

My next mission – NYE – and I'll try to be more specific now.

Do I need to book now or closer to nov dec?

2 thoughts – a boat cruise (not a crazy party one but a bit more chill) from where we can see the fireworks at mid night or a rooftop/ restaurant that has late seating so we can eat dinner and do drinks and watch fireworks. We are vegetarians but ok if the choices are limited as long as we have something to eat. Would like a nice restaurant (understand many of them have pre-fix which is ok!). We are big fans of fireworks so would like to book whatever is super nice for that day. Don’t want a crazy party situation since I will be with my mom but definitely a nice ambiance with music and festivities.

I hope I am more specific this time, and might even be too early on this mission? Thank you!

Would love to hear your recs on which boat cruise or restaurants/ rooftops to consider please.

54 replies to this topic
United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,804 posts
247 reviews
1. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

Fireworks are everywhere in various parts of the city.

Bistro Teresa on the Malecon, you have vantage points in several different directions. Another option would be Playa Los Arcos restaurant. They set them off right at the beach there and they are practically over your head! That location is also close to the street dance party which takes place as well.

Others will chime in with other options....

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

La Traviata restaurant on the rooftop of Paloma Del Mar hotel on Calle Honduras.

Fantastic view of the whole bay.

They do a set meal for NYE, last year was 900 pesos ($50) & they have a vegetarian option.

After the fireworks finish head down & grab a taxi over to the RZ for the Olas Alta's street party.

BTW, Paloma Del Mar rooftop is one block over from your condo on Panama which had the best rooftop view of the bay plus a pool.

cheyenne
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

The town is packed on NYE. The restaurants are slammed and expensive. I would go out on the bay. See if you can arrange for a panga for just the two of you, grab a bottle of champagne or wine, cheese and crackers and have a snack and enjoy. If you would rather be with a crowd and in a restaurant, Ian's idea is a good one-but still an expensive, crowded option.

If you have a panga, you can return to the pier and you will be in the heart of the party.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,348 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

Check with Los Cuatro Vientos (hotel). They have a rooftop bar called el Nido ("the nest") that has a fantastic view of the bay. It's up "behind" the church. There's also a restaurant there Chez Elena (but on the 2nd floor patio, no view from the restaurant, only the rooftop bar).

http://www.cuatrovientos.com/

Edited: 28 July 2017, 17:59
Canada
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
5. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

I am going to suggest looking at Casa Isabel - great view of the bay and Isabel is known to throw a good party. You are too early to see what will be on offer but you could write in advance if it looks interesting to you and inquire about vegetarian options. It would be easy to get to from where you are staying and they will get you a taxi to get back home. You could stop on Olas Altas to check out the street party after the fireworks and decide if it is too busy - easy walk back to your condo.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
510 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

Thanks everyone! These are great ideas, I'll start looking at them.

Any ideas about a boat cruise please? Thanks again

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,075 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

All NYE boat cruises will be expensive.

Nobody will be scheduling or posting anything related to NYE events for several months yet so we can't really tell you what would work. Just flag it and wait to see what's available.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,348 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

All these ideas still work... for supi10.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
510 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

Hey guys thanks for the ideas

So here are my choices

Pre fixe dinner and drinks at either of these places

1) Barcelona tapas 100 usd

2) bistro terera 120 usd

3) la traviata 65 usd

The food aside- which of these would you pick for views of the firework and a good nye night pls? I am leaning between 1 and 3 but open to bistro Teresa. Will one experience be a lot better? Is Barcelona tapas more popular?

If you have any different place in mind, I would love to hear

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,815 posts
170 reviews
10. Re: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?

Just my opinion. Bistro Teresa and Barcelona Tapas are in an entirely different league than La Traviata which I would not catagorize as a "special occasion" place. It's true what they say - you get what you pay for.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 23:13
Reply to: NYE - rooftop or boat cruise ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted