We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
Trip report

We just returned from a week at Villa del Palmar last night. From reading here, I knew that the check-in process would include the time share hassle, so I was prepared. They tried to stick us in the adjacent Villa del Mar, but I asked that they change the room as I paid for the Palmar, and they did. We had a lovely suite overlooking the beach and pool. Everything with the room was perfect during our stay. Checkout was a bit of a frustration, as they had added someone else's lunch tab to our bill, they pulled the copy & I showed them that no "Deborah" was with us, but they insisted that it was my bill. After 45 minutes of discussion, I was afraid I'd miss my flight, so I paid it. Otherwise, all was well with the Villa del Palmar.

The beach vendors were in abundance, but we are used to that from our other travels. When we shook our heads no, they walked on. Some of them were quite interesting to talk to.

The only tour we took was the whale watching tour with Astrid and Isabella. It was great. They were very knowledgeable and accommodating, and we saw quite a few whales.

The first afternoon there, we walked to the Gigante grocery for snacks, drinks, and breakfast foods. We ate all our evening meals downtown except one, the Mexican Fiesta which we ate at the resort. We had a beautiful sunset dinner at the Panarama. The food was not the best that we had in PV, but it was good, and the view was worth it. We also ate at Pipi's and the Blue Shrimp, as well as some little Mexican restaurant whose name I cannot remember. The food was good everywhere. Breakfast was in the room, and lunches were at the hotel bar as we spent most days at the beach.

We went to the Malecon for shopping and people watching at night. Our taxi drivers were the best that I've ever had, in Mexico or even Jamaica. We only had one that drove wild, and they were all very friendly and offered good insider tips. We were expecting cool nights, but we were very comfortable in short sleeves and shorts.

I think the only bad part of the trip was having to come home!

San Diego Ca,
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Sounds like you had a good trip! Thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Unacceptable that they stuck you with someone else's lunch tab. And they took advantage of the fact that you had a flight to catch. Otherwise I'm glad you had a good time.

San Diego Ca,
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

DrKay,

I think it would be a good idea to post a review on the Trip Advisor hotel review area for the hotel Villa Del Palmar.

This way others can see what happened to you before booking with this hotel.

Click on the tab at top of this page where it says hotels.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

DrKay...enjoyed reading your trip report, sorry that you paid for someone else's lunch - they should have taken that off your bill as soon as you pointed out that you had no one by that name staying in your room. They are suppose to check everyone who signs for a bill with the computer screen to see if that person is authorised to sign for that room - so someone wasn't doing their job. I have stayed at Villa del Palmar 5 times and I have been lucky enough not to have that happen...we love staying at VDP.

It is very nice to have the kitchens and the great Gigante grocery store nearby. We always stock up on sodas and munchies for the week.

I agree with you.....the only bad part of a trip is...coming home!

Thanks again for sharing your trip with us.

Lasalle, ON
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

We got back on the 17th and something similar happened. I was doing the express check out and there was a charge i didn't recognize, so i questioned it. She couldn't find the bill and said she would have 2 look thru millions. So i just stood there and finally she said well how about I take the gratuity off instead which didnt quite add up to the 455 peso charge but i figured what the heck - I had been tipping the maid daily so she didnt lose anything.

Will do a post soon!

6. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 00:19