We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI exchange

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
RCI exchange

As mentioned in another thread, I'm booked at Velas Vallarta through an RCI exchange in June/July. I'm concerned about some review comments I've read on sales tactics.there I'm new with RCI exchanges having only done my first last July (in Cancun):

At that time, despite confirming on the phone before my arrival and having official confirmation paperwork in hand, upon arrival they claimed they didn't have me arriving until the next day and had no room for me. I was put in the "time share" sales room and once I agreed to do their presentation, they magically gave me a nice ocean view room. They leaned on me hard in the presentation to buy. And mind you, I'm already an RCI owner! Do they expect I should buy a new property every year?? Seems like RCI owners would be left alone when they target fresh meat to prey on. Does anyone think using the airport transport they offer tips them off to put you on this "pressure list". I guess I sound paranoid by now but note they only offer the airport transport on arrival, not departure! If paying for a cab keeps me below the radar, might be worth it. Again, the above experience was at a different resort (GR Solaris) in Cancun, NOT Velas but just wondering what I'm in for and the best way to do things this next time around...Thanks for any advice!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RCI exchange

downthemiddle....I am a timeshare owner and I have never used thier shuttle service - so maybe that is a "target list" or "pressure list" because we have never been approched by any sales people to attend a sales presentation...but that really makes sense, because if you are coming on a RCI exchange it means you don't own at Velas yet, so they want to sell you something there!

My advise to you is no matter what, don't go to any presentation - no matter what. The only bad comments Velas ever gets is regarding their timeshare sales people - but they are no different then anywhere else, they all use the same sales tactics and that is their job. I don't want to get into any debate here on timeshare sales people or timeshares - because I love mine but I buy mine off the resale market. I just know I would never attend a presentation with the idea of getting gifts or money for attending...knowing that I have no plans of buying.

I have never had a problem when checking in - I show up, tell them my name and I am all set. I guess, I would avoid the shuttle service if you are worried about that or just be firm when approached that you do not want to attend any sales meetings!

I love Velas.....the resort is beautiful - the staff is amazing, the food is wonderful, the rooms are nice. The studio is a bit small and no balcony, but all other rooms are great. Ask for a room on the 5th floor or higher....I like building 3 on the top floor...and I usually get it when I ask.

Hope you have a wonderful time...if you have more questions, please ask.

England
Level Contributor
318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RCI exchange

Hi

We stayed at Grand Velas, the sister hotel, last year with reservations through RCI.

We had a perfect stay, including pick-up from the airport. No problems with reservations and no one tried to sell us another time-share. The all-inclusive prices were exactly as stated by RCI.

Hopefully the service at the Velas Vallarta will be the same for you. RCI send very clear paperwork stating dates of bookings, so that will help if there are any queries.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

3. Re: RCI exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 01:20