We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report part two

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report part two

We spent last week at our home away from home Lindo Mar. We were placed in the dreaded unit 102. Both the living room and master bedroom open directly to the pool deck. Oh well, someone has to stay there and it was our turn. The condo itself was lovely.

For the first time, there were families with children, lots of children. They were really nice kids, but their families overtook the small pool all day, every day. Sheesh! Take your kids into town, take them to the zoo, even take them to the beach at Lindo Mar. We selected Velas Vallarta for our family trip and it's much better fit for a large group.

Breakfast-

I'm not much of a morning person, so we ate breakfast at La Playita every morning. The have a good sized menu of tasty food, so we didn't get bored. We did venture out for our traditional Sunday breakfast at Daiquiri Dick's. I had gazpacho with a Thai influence, perfect with my summer roll.

Lunch-

As I feared when we purchased at Lindo Mar, it's next to impossible to get my husband to leave the grounds. I have a standard Friday lunch with a friend at Salud. We shared lettuce wraps and a zoodle (zucchini noodle) bowl. According to Mr. Spotcat, that's Berkeley hippie food. We met friends for lunch at Babel Bar. We shared a fruit plate. I ate a shrimp burger for the first time. It's was really good, but I prefer the tacos. I enjoyed a sola lunch at Vitea, gazpacho and and small salad were just right for a very hot, humid day. Between checking out of Lindo Mar and checking into Velas, we spent a couple of hours at Incanto. He enjoyed a burger and I loved my Cobb salad. We both loved the beautiful singing along with Salvatore's keyboards.

Dinner-

Serrano's Meat House is a must. They have the best salmon! We met up with JR at The Hungry Thirsty Cougar. So good to see him! For some weird reason, I decided to order meatloaf. I eat beef maybe twice a year and I think American comfort food is a bore. Yowza! The meatloaf was incredible. I heard that the food at El Set had really improved, so we decided to walk over for dinner. The food was excellent! I had a thick red snapper filet and a savory olive sauce. He had rack of lamb. We had dinner at Nacho Daddy and it was just what we felt like eating. Hubby said it was the best wet burrito he's ever eaten and my enchiladas were perfection.

Music-

One of the things I love about Vallarta is the live music everywhere. We enjoyed Chris Kenny's latest project, Mexicanada, at Incanto. We listened to Jorge Acosta and Lenny Lopez at Daiquri Dick's. On Friday night, I wanted to hear the Texas Embassy Blues Band at Nacho Daddy.

17 replies to this topic
Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report part two

Sounds like another great trip. Lisa and I hope to visit a couple of those places with you folks in May. We can't wait.

We never got assigned to 102 or any of the LM pool level rooms. For years we have been assigned 702, but I'm thinking that is over since the remodel of the unit. Looks beautiful.

Counting the days.

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
14,098 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report part two

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like u had a great time. I like Lindo Mar except the pool..far too small.enjoy your family trip at Velas.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
591 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report part two

Thank you for your up-date. Really enjoyed reading about the restaurants & the food you enjoyed at them. Also, for the music up-date.

Your experience with a pool full of kids really resonated with me. I love to hang by a quiet pool, read, swim, drink my beverage, & repeat when I am on holidays. I get quite cranky when I can not relax with these simple pleasures.:(

"a lettuce wraps and a zoodle (zucchini noodle) bowl. According to Mr. Spotcat, that's Berkeley hippie food."

I have the same problem with my husband. There are certain restaurants that he will not go to because he does not want to eat that hippie food. Seems strange to me as he did not have any trouble eating it back in the day.:O)

Comox BC
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report part two

Thanks for the update Spotcat. Going to be sure to check out Incanto this trip and Nacho Daddy's where we have yet to go in 7 plus years! Are you going to be at Velas awhile yet?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report part two

spotcat, if you can squeeze in a David Hernandez performance at Incanto, he's amazing! I saw him in Feb. and have tickets again for our upcoming trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
413 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report part two

Nice report-some things saved for our upcoming trip.Thanks for posting, useful!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report part two

We're checking out of Velas on Saturday when our family returns to California. Bill and I are staying at Hotel Rio for two nights to avoid holiday weekend travel. Deb, I'll see when David Hernandez is playing.

Cortoredondo, 102 is a two bedroom deluxe. If Trading Places assigns us that unit again, I will politely decline and book elsewhere. Agree with Bezerk, the pool is too small. Add six chidren and a dozen inflatable toys and it's far worse. Condu, I like to sit on the balcony first thing in the morning quietly sipping coffee and reading the paper. For the love of my grandchildren, I've been spending a lot of time at the kiddie pool. Sanity, please stay with me.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,741 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report part two

Spotcat was you son able to book Volaria to PV out of LAX.? They just started that daily flight on the 17th. I think the problem with the low cost carriers is lack of helpful customer service reps to help you resolve problems.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report part two

Great report. Enjoyed being with you & Bill at the Lindo Mar. Looking forward to seeing you again in May.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,504 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report part two

I can relate on the hippie food lol. The zoodle bowl at Salud sounds good to me, my husband would never order that, although he does like Salud.

You mentioned Serrano's and I'm always surprised at how good their food is, I guess someday I will stop being surprised.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. :-))

Reply to: Trip report part two
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted