We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is it with airlines?

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
what is it with airlines?

i'm sitting in a hotel in pittsburgh leaving for pv tomorrow.

messin around online----find out my flight was cancelled and would i accept a double stop--one in atlanta, one in mexico city---only a 2 hour layover--which probably won't be enough time.

i actually was a wreck!!! gotta trust in the Lady.

did i do the right thing to accept? what else could i have done?

25 replies to this topic
cheyenne
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is it with airlines?

Atlanta had 900+ flights cancelled. I bet they need to get planes to Atlanta! You probably wouldn't have had much of a choice:-(

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is it with airlines?

Bad weather is heading across the east coast delaying everything. Atlanta got snow today. The city literally shuts down. No one knows how to drive in it. Sorry you’re delayed. Keep checking. You never know...

Edited: 09 December 2017, 03:25
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is it with airlines?

I seriously doubt you get to Atlanta tomorrow. I read on Flyertalk ATL flights may be canceled thru Sun.

Planes can't get in or out.

Crews can't get to work.

Planes positioned oddly all over the country.

Crews are timing out and no replacements.

Add to that fog messed up much of Seattle flights.

Add to that the SoCal airports are cancelling many flights due to the fires.

Add to that most North East Coast airports also have cancellations and waivers in place.

There is no "what is it with the airlines" ask instead what route can your airline book you on that is not affected by Mother Nature.

Personally I wouldn't be counting on any flight thru Atlanta. For your sake I hope I am wrong.

Buen suerte.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is it with airlines?

I feel your pain! I am supposed to be flying from EWR to LAX on Sunday morning (although it is for business, not fun.)

There is a travel waiver in place for BOTH airports! One for the snow on the east coast and one for the wildfires in southern CA. My flight hasn't been cancelled yet, but I have to figure my odds are not good. Due to the travel waivers, I can actually change and/or cancel my flights with no penalty and since my business meetings in LA are non-essential (holiday lunches, 2018 budgets, etc.) I am giving serious consideration to rescheduling for early January...

I hope you get to PV safe and sound - and as soon as possible!!

Edited: 09 December 2017, 09:17
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
748 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what is it with airlines?

Get on the phone immediately!!!

Sending you good vibes. Sadly we are headed home from PV today. But I hope you arrive to take our place today!!!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
915 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is it with airlines?

You just have to roll with the punches when traveling via air, especially during the winter months. Have great trip!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what is it with airlines?

I hope you're safely on your way, but if you haven't left yet, don't stress about the 2 hour layover in México City. That should be enough time.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what is it with airlines?

Wow this is crazy! There's no snow in my part of Ontario, Canada. I'm flying out of Toronto tomorrow to PVR and everything is on time. No threats of snow here either.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
590 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is it with airlines?

We are worried about the fog that has settled in over Vancouver Island. Float planes do not fly in the fog. We may have to take the taxi, ferry, bus, & skytrain alternative to get to YVR (Vancouver.) It nearly takes as long to do this as to fly from YVR to PV! Hopefully, we will have a weather change, very soon!

Iyamsifi: We had a similar problem as your a few years back on a trip to Hawaii. My husband called our travel agent & she manged to get us on an alternate Air Canada direct flight . We even won a bottle of champagne! The flight that we had previously booked was delayed for four days! We felt very lucky to be enjoy Waikiki Beach while so many people were stuck in airports all over the USA & Canada.:)

I hope everything works out for you.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is it with airlines?

We are also experiencing Winter Storm Benji ❄️☃️❄️ with no cancellations ‘yet’ we are anticipating leaving on time tomorrow morning for PV 🙏🌴☀️

Reply to: what is it with airlines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted