We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

Level Contributor
142 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

Usually go to Hawaii, our family decided to try Puerto Vallarta this WInter to try something new. Obviously I hit TripAdvisor for reviews of Things To Do but looking input based on our vacation history and preferences.

It seems in most warm vacation destinations they offer a typical set of activities to separate vacationers and their money. We've done all these, so unless they are super exceptional or unique, we'd probably pass. They include:

- Zip lining

- ATV Rentals/Tours

- SCUBA Diving

- Hoverboard

- Jet Ski

- Booze Cruise

We of course are planning on touring old town and El Malecon Boardwalk. Any suggestions on other stuff to do that is worthwhile and not a ripoff for a family with teenagers (not a bunch of Spring Breakers looking to party.) Yes we are open to good snorkeling having done it before but prefer to steer clear of the "cattle boats" with a gazillion people on them. There must be some interesting off-the-beaten-path stuff in the area. Will have a car. Would be nice to see some wildlife (monkeys, birds, etc) without having to spend an entire day with a tour guide.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 06:07
15 replies to this topic
So Cal
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

You could go view the crocodiles, easy to do on your own with a car. That is something that is not on your list. 😊

Gaylord, Minnesota
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

check out the zoo!

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,602 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

Your family sounds quite active. Great! Hawaii reminds me of Vallarta and vice versa. In fact, on my first time arriving in Vallarta, taking a taxi to our hotel in old town, walking through the open aired hotel lobby entrance I said, “This is just like Hawaii!’ Honestly, those were the first words out of my mouth! What I like about Vallarta is the great cultural experience that cannot be matched in Hawaii.

How about a hike up to the cross above Vallarta? Way up in the hills. You will walk through great old neighborhoods, meet locals, see the beautiful views, and experience the culture along the way. Coming back down you could head towards the Cuale River and take a dip by walking through it and end up with crossing one of the suspension bridges.

I’ve done this hike twice with an organized group of 8 people- with Sylvie Scopazzo (tour guide) but you could easily do it on your own. It’s one special hike that stands out to me and the views are spectacular along the way.

missouri
Level Contributor
225 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

You might consider a day trip to Yelapa. Our whole extended family- including kids and teens, did that a few months back. You can take a water taxi at the pier - no organized tour needed at all! Go at your own pace, explore the town, check out the waterfall, spend time on the beach- lots to see and do.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

Definitely take a water taxi or rent a boat for about 500 pesos an hour and go to Las Animas or Yelapa. You can rent boats at the Los Muertos pier, in Mismaloya, or in Boca de Tomatlan.

There's a trail from Boca to Las Animas. It's quite the hike, but if you're into a jungle adventure, it might be just the ticket.

You can head south to the Botanical Gardens for more hiking and lunch either there or at Chico's Paradise along the way. Or you could continue on to the small town of El Tuito to check out a more rural setting in the area.

You might also head north to the small beach towns of San Francisco, Sayulita, and Rincon de Guayabitos. Once you pass the Punta de Mita area, it's a lovely drive through the mountains with lots of small tiendas along the way.

Please read the threads about rental car companies and driving here before you come and/or ask questions on this forum. Neither is anything like Hawaii, and there is information you really should have before you rent a car or drive here.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
275 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

You could try water parks in Nuevo Vallarta or the new Witbit park in Bucerias just google waterparks

pvangels.com/news/5818/new-alternative-for-f…

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

Depending on where you are staying, some hotels over free bicycling and kayaking tours or take advantage of the free sculptures tour along the malecon on Tuesday or Kevin’s free hike to the cross on Wednesday mornings.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,483 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

You could go to El Eden after the zoo, where they can swing from a rope into a pool of river water. It's a restaurant in the jungle up a winding mountain road in Mismaloya. To get there take 200 south and turn left when you see Barcelo Resort on your left. There is probably a sign at the turn that says El Predator...because that's where the movie was filmed...but they are the same place.

Once you turn left, make an immediate right and go through the village, past the zoo on your left, and up the mountain slowly for about 15 minutes until you get to El Eden. It might be a nice thing to do after you have been to the zoo where they can feed almost all the animals...including a Giraffe and a Hippo! (Note that the restaurant can be expensive but we've often shared food there and they don't mind.)

Or you could go to Mismaloya Beach after the zoo. It's on the west side of highway 200 and the parking area is on the south side of Barcelo hotel along the river.

Level Contributor
142 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

Great ideas. We are staying just north of Bucerias in the La Cruz de Huanacaxtle area so we will probably definitely explore up north. We are joking that we might go try to spy on the set of Bachelor In Paradise, but I'm sure they have plenty of security surrounding the whole area. Are all beaches public like Hawaii or are beaches in front of private property considered private property?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?

Swim with dolphins -- Wildlife Connection

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Reply to: What's Fun For Teens (that isn't a ripoff) ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted