We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations?

Northern California
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations?

Hi all:

OK, so I was on the CDC website, and they have a long list of recommended vaccinations for Mexico/Central America. How did you manage them? How far in advance did you have them? Any problems?

Ugh. My husband hates needles. This'll be fun...

Sandi

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,680 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations?

What vaccinations are they recommending? I've not had any special vaccinations for my trips to PV and this is the first time I've heard of an "long list", so I'm kind of curious.

The only one I'm even considering is TwinRix (and only if my health plan covers it since it aint cheap LOL), and after 9 years of going to Vallarta at least once a year can't say I've ever been warned to get any other specific vaccinations either.

Are they mixing up Mexico with Central America requirements, perhaps?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
971 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations?

my doctors advice was to update my tetanus and get a hepatitus"A" shot. Follow up booster for hep "A" in 6 months will cover you for life.

My doctor says min. two weeks prior to departure for Hepatitius, however the Canadian Public Health site states up to date of departure is fine and will cover most travellors..

Didn't bother with any shots last trip as I had left it to the last mintue, this year I figured I would do it.

My daughter and I are getting our jabs on Thursday AM. I will let you know later in the week if we have any problems.

Northern California
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations?

The CDC page is here:

www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm#vaccines

The list of recommended vaccines is:

* Hep A

* Hep C

* Typhoid

* Boosters for Dip-tet

* Booster for Measles

* Rabies for Rural Areas

* Yellow Fever for Panamanian excursions

Sandi

Wi
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations?

Wow.....what a list. I must be just plain lucky. I have been going for over 15 years for at least one week at a time and i have never had any of those vaccinations. I am not saying that having them is not good just think they are a little out there. Have a great trip and enjoy it and dont worry about them.

st. louis, MO
Level Contributor
438 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations?

I was just at my daughters doctors office last week, and I asked if she need any shots. He said no, just watch the fruits and vegtables and Street vendor food be cautious. (maybe because she has been getting shots )

My hubby got the hep shot, but only because he is traveling to Asia.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations?

Wow, what a list! Yellow Fever?!, I have not had this shot myself but have injected several for inlisted military personel who were going to Iraq, and from their reaction I can tell you it hurts like hell! I'm not an expert but I am having a hard time believing this is necessary for a trip to PV. I felt very safe on our trip two weeks ago to PV without most of these shots and we ate at taco stands and went "out of town" on dune buggies and a canopy tour. KJ

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
971 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations?

My doc confirmed that extensive list is geared toward travelling a little more extensively through rural Mexico\central America.

My daughter and I did get the Hepatitus A shot.. just as much for day to day life as for our upcoming trip -Hep A is transmitted through poor handwashing practice mainly (by cross contaminating food and water with human feces (most commonly) EW.. ). which can happen in Vancouver or Puerto Vallarta. I am in the restaurant industry so it is a good thing for me. With a booster in 6 months we are protected for life.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations?

That list seems geared more towards travel off the beaten path. I have never gotten vaccinations for trips to Puerto Vallarta.

Kamloops
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccinations?

I went to the travel clinic at my local health unit where they recommended the Twinrix (Hep A & B combo). One shot, one a month later and one after 5 months makes you good for life. My doctor said to only do theTtwinrix for the first and last shot and to have the middle one a Hep B only (he gave me the Hep B one for free).

Also recommended at the health clinic was tetanis - if you havn't had it in the last 10 years.

The nurse checked a map and said the risk in PV is really low for other things (Typhoid, Malaria etc.).

She did say to be sure you get medical treatment ASAP if bitten or scratched by an animal. She said there are a lot of stray dogs and a big risk of Rabies if you are bitten.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,149 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaccinations?

Hi, I am an american. also a nurse. I also live full time in Mexico and go to Pv frequently as well as other coastal places. The Hep A& B vaccine is a good idea no matter where you live. The tetanus as well. As far as any other shots, I have had none. Did contemplate the typhoid shot once but never did get it.

I suggest you use bottled water, as we all do even locals. Be cautious with street vendors, if there are a lot of natives ie: Mexicans eating at an establishment then it is fine, as they do not want to get sick either. No one does. I also suggest you use sunscreen and bug repellent especially if doing any jungle tours.

Putting squeezed limes over fruit and veggies and whatever is a good idea as well, lots of critters do not like lime juice. Washing your hands a lot is critical.

As for the rabies....yes there are street dogs in Mexico and yes many are not taken care of at all, poor things. They are usually afraid of you as the treatment to dogs and such is not the best in Mexico, they can be treated quite meanly, guess that applies anywhere. I do not pet them nor bother with them , other than to throw a bit of food to them if available. I think your risk of being biten is quite low, unless you are bothering with them or taunting a dog. If a dog is acting strangely, go the other way.

Enjoy yourself, use common sense and enjoy the country and its people.