We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Benicia, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

I was planning a trip to PV in Jan 2008 but now just found out a co-worker is pregnant and will be on maternity leave then. So, I was thinking of going maybe in March/April but don't want to be surrounded by drunk spring breakers (no offense to anyone out there). :) When does the Spring Break surge start and end typically? Thanks!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

Next year should be interesting, it's a little unique when compared to this year and last year -- various spring-breaks, plus, the two weeks of Easter, all occur within the month of March!! So March is bound to be very busy in '08.

We typically go down to Vallarta (a week or two) 'after' Easter -- late-April and into May, or all of May. After Easter everything settles down -- it's the spring 'shoulder' travel season -- quieter, less busy, less-costly as well.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

Spring break drunk college types seem to congregate only at a few specific hotels (low- to mid-end all-inclusives) that have activities, tequila volleyball, etc. and certain bars and clubs.

If you pick a better hotel, or even a budget local one, you'll likely avoid it. In many many trips staying in the Old Town over the years in all the various spring months, only once did I encounter this kind of group at my small downtown hotel, and actually that was over Christmas or Thanksgiving, now that I'm mentioning it.

I don't know your budget but stay somewhere like the Casa Magna Marriott, Sheraton, Villa Premiere, Lindo Mar, Dreams, etc. and I'm guessing you'd be fine any week. Easter holidays will have more effect on availability of hotels than college spring breaks.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

Since Easter falls in March next year....I would plan a trip in April and you will for sure miss the spring breakers...I just came back from Easter week and yes, it is extremely busy.

Wi
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

Well i have never thought of PV to be a spring breaker place to go although you will always see some of them. i have been traveling to PV in March for many years and as always some are better than others but not really that bad. In February you usually get reading week (spring break for canadians) and then Most of March is spring break for the U.S. but next year everyone is correct with Easter playing a part also. I would agree and say that you should if you can wait until April but i will say in all the years i have been going down spring breakers are really never a big issue. You will have a great trip and most likely will be avoiding the place where they hang out.

Benicia, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

What is February like as far as crowds? May end up going mid to late February now. Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

Mid to late February - Canadian college/university reading weeks (aka spring break) and heavy travel month for those from Quebec and Denmark from what I remember (always seemed to run into TONS of Danes) - I used to go in Jan/Feb a fair bit, switched to shoulder season instead.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

I love February. The weather is perfection. As far as crowds that depends more where you stay and what you do then the month of the year, in my experience (i've been down in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, April, May, and June myself).

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

I would avoid Semana Santa, in March next year - very crowded beaches and the traffic can be gridlock at times.

9. Re: Best time to avoid Spring Breakers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 00:19