We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Northern California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Returned from PV a week ago and still suffering from withdrawal symptoms, lol. As usual had an incredible time with some awesome people. Figured I’d put my 2 cents in along with some pictures of our trip. If anyone has additional questions please ask.

Flight from Sacramento to LA to PV was on time arrived on Sunday evening at 6:00 PM. Got the green light and exited into the main terminal to the gauntlet of time-share sharks. Headed directly (or so we thought) to the Taxi stand recommended by Cuates y Cuetes for our 20% discount. Ooops, found out later (when we left PV) that the actual stand is around the corner to the right. Ended up paying $20 a couple for the trip into town.

Taxi dropped us off at Casa Dulce Vida, which is at the top of Aldama Street. Once we got the keys to our place we found out that they had rented our room #4 to someone else for a week, so being that we were only there for 2 nights we ended up in the penthouse #5. Wow! About 3000SF for $100/night. View to kill and a pool to boot! Only 4 blocks down the hill to the Malecon. I’m going to post a more detailed review on Casa Dulce Vidas review page.

Walked down 2 blocks then over 4 to Pipi’s. Walked right by Café des Artistes (maybe some day) and Si Senor? Met the gang at Pipi’s for dinner, 5 couples spending the week in PV. Fajitas were excellent, although some people didn’t care for the beef. Margaritas…..what can I say! One of our group was sure they put something in her drink (she was a bit loopy when we left the restaurant) but hey when you drink a Margarita as big as your head…. Had a great group picture taken well worth the $10. Table next to us had a kid maybe 13 celebrating a birthday so of course he got his face pushed into his dessert. His Dad had told him they give you free shots on your birthday no matter your age. When they brought out the 2 shots of “tequila” the kid had a look of absolute terror on his face. He sucked it up and put back the shot…of root beer. Great trick to play on your kids.

After dinner headed down to the Malecon and Bogeduito del Medio for some Mojitos. Great atmosphere but I have to say my Mojitos are better. Cuban food looked awesome. We forgot our sharpies so we weren’t able to write our names on the walls…

Walked the Malecon (Sunday night) and checked out the rock balancer and the sandcastles (nice last supper set up) Ended up sitting on a bench eating a crepe with chocolate and nutella mmmmmmmm.

Monday we walked the town heading down to the Malecon and taking it south. 2 years since our last visit and the skyline of PV, is, sadly, changing. Our beloved Molino de Agua is no more, bulldozed for an obscene condo tower. Looking north the Marina and Nuevo area honestly are beginning to look like the Las Vegas skyline. Hung out on the beach at Cuates y Cuetas and had some breakfast, orange juice (PV is the only city on the planet that I know of where your oj is ALWAYS fresh squeezed) and some beers. Wife and her friend had henna tattoos applied and bought some candy wrapper purses. (Of course we fell for the “my wife and I make them, si senor) Wandered over to Choco Banana (closed!) and headed up Basillio de Badillo to check out the shops. Found the tile factory and bought some stuff before heading back to Casa Dulce Vida for a swim before dinner.

Made reservations for Barcelona Tapas a few weeks prior so we walked over and up the hill. Up 75 steps to the top of the city! With reservations you get to sit on the 2nd floor where the view was spectacular and the food was superb. There were 3 couples at dinner so we each ordered something different 3 times. Got to try 18 dishes on the menu! Enjoyed the sunset, the sangria (both white and red!) and dessert. 5 things on the dessert menu and we ordered 4 of em. What an awesome meal, the price was reasonable, the staff top notch. Dinner ended up costing about $65/couple including tip, sangria, dessert everything. I have to thank my fellow trip advisors for the recommendation. A+++!

Tuesday morning. May 1st. In the US its another day but everywhere else on the planet its “Labor Day” We were warned the day before to get out of downtown by 9 as it shuts down and traffic is impossible. We ran down the hill and found 2 taxis (one of which the driver was totally incoherent) and ended up getting south of the river before 10. When we left, downtown had NO traffic and the federales were closing off the streets with their atvs. Dropped off at Memo’s pancake house (yikes, closed for the holiday) Fortunately Freddy’s Toucan was open so we snuck in with our luggage and had breakfast. Wow their crepes are good! And, real, real, real. whipping cream. You know the dense heavy stuff from our childhoods? That kind of whipping cream. By the time we left Freddy’s there was an hour wait and a line out the door.

Got on the bus at 11 and headed down to Boca and our journey to Majahuitas. But that’s enough for tonight.

Thanks!!

washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Man it sounds great I want to read more!!!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Shiloh8912.....wow...wonderful trip report, I too, have been going through PV withdrawal - for a month now and it doens't get any better, believe me!

Glad you enjoyed Barcelona Tapas, always one of my favorite restaurants and we eat there on every trip...same with Pipis (daughters favorite place in the world). You will have to try Si Senor some time, it is great as well. The owner that owns Si Senor also owns the Blue Shrimp. Cafe des Artistes is also one of my favorites...little more spendy but worth every bite. I haven't tried the crepes yet at Fredy's, they sure sound good!

Are you going to finish your trip report tomorrow? I'll be waiting!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us thus far!

Van Nuys, CA
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Hurry, come back I need to hear the rest of the story.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story. My girlfriend and I bought the candy wrapper purses also and our guy selling them also said he and his family made them. (ha) I didn't know about the sharpies and writing on the wall. Sounds like something we need to do with the kids. I'll be waiting for the rest of your review!

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,684 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Not necessary to bring your own Sharpies to La Bodeguita...your waiter will supply them if you ask. (-;

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Enjoyed your trip report. Glad you loved Barcelona Tapas & I highly recommend trying Si Senor's next time. I love the vendors that "make the items they sell" LOL Our last trip, we met a vendor at Los Muertos beach that said his name was Picasso & he & his wife handpainted sea shells. I laughed my butt off but bought one anyway. Your penthouse sounds beautiful.

Northern California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

still working on the 2nd part...

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

oh good, and i'm interested in hearing about Casa Dulce Vida !

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Wow great trip report! I am saving it for our trip to PV in one month! cant wait!

colorado
Level Contributor
100 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sigh...back from PV. Took me a week to write this review....

Took your recommendation on Barcelona. I have a reservation for Sunday night. Thanks.