We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,235 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Hi all: We arrived back to Vallarta today on the early (9:50 am departure) flight from Dallas/FW. We were the only plane there at PVR so Immigration was zip zip (wish I could say the same for baggage claim, but, oh well)

1) My impression, today, of the famous Timeshare trap was (intellectually) that it's gotten worse since our last PVR arrival in late December, 2006, and (emotionally) Blechhh! YUK. It shouldn't be like this, but all I can do at the moment is say, be careful, walk through and don't be sucked in or offended. Puerto Vallarta is better than this. If you like, by all means borrow the line "Vivimos aqui" (we live here). Whether you live her or not, Timeshare people can't do a whole lot to bug you if you are a resident.

Now my experience as of today. It used to be only one room for Timeshare, after you exit Customs. Now it's a second area, expanding the whole section after you turn left until you exit the sliding doors. And today, they were more aggressive than other times. One man actually blocked our path, standing in front of us, with his hand up like a policeman does. I actually removed his arm and just said "Vivimos aqui" (we live here). As others have said, we kept moving briskly, but, YUK. This is an absolutely horrible impression for anyone new to PVR and I wish I knew what I could do to stop it. We bought a ticket at the cab stand at the end, but I'm not exactly sure why the Taxi Booth had made huge signs that they waved at you that said "Taxi". It looked like a picket line. If you didn't stop, they would also block your way. Perhaps this aggressive stance had something to do with the fact there weren't a lot of people arriving today (Sunday) and it's a slow season, but still YUK.

2) Airport Taxi Fares. When you buy a taxi ticket, they will quote you a fare and you will get a receipt. It's a fixed fare (thank goodness). Here's what's on my receipt for the various zones. You can check on the map when you're there as to which Zone you're in, or maybe--hopefully, other people can fill in the gaps with more detail. I really only know from experience the fare(s) for where we went: Zone 1 (Hotel Zone)

Anyway, in terminology: A "Carro" (small taxi) is 1-3 passengers and a "Cam" (Van) is for more people. Up to 9 I think (with luggage) They use a 10:1 Conversion (Pesos: US dollars) So if I say pesos, just divide by 10 for Dolars. No problem paying in dollars and the rate isn't any better if you pay in pesos.

For Zone 1A (the Marina), it's 155.00 pesos ($15.00 US) for a small taxi, and $300.00 (about $30 US) for a Cam (Van)

Zone 1: the Hotel Zone (past the Marina as far as the Buenaventura I think). Includes hotels like the NH-Krystal, the Golden Crown, Villa del Palmar, Sheraton, Fiesta Americana--check JR's maps at Vallarta-info.com. It's $170 pesos ($17 US) for a cab and $335 pesos for a Van.

Zone 2: Farther than Hotel Zone. check the map or ask what this includes. It's $225.00 for a cab and $450 for a Van. (For US dollars, divide by 10)

Zone 3: $270 for a cab or $530.00 for a van. (For US same conversion as above). Not sure exactly where Zone 3 is, but, there are maps you can check, or, as I said, someone who has done it will know exactly what Zone 3 is.

Hope this helps.

Glad to be here. The weather is beautiful.

Libby

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

"This is an absolutely horrible impression for anyone new to PVR .."

Libby you are sure 'right on' with that comment!! The timeshare situation at the airport as been a quite disgusting situation for some time, what a shame to read that it's just getting worse.

Thanks for posting the taxi rates.

Have a great time 'in the sun & surf' Libby!!

Cheers!!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Somebody stands in my way in the timeshare trap, I'd sock him in the jaw. :)

Higuera Blanca...
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
Level Contributor
868 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Friends of ours who have had a time share in Puerto Vallarta for some 20 years actually got caught in the time share trap this spring! They ended up visitng a time share sales office in Nuevo Vallarta after the sales job at the airport, lost a morning in the process and found that they had signed a document that cost them $60 so that they were free of any further obligation!

oregon
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

First off, I don't understand why the Timeshare trap is allowed. Is it public property so that anyone can go there and do this? It just seems the Mexican tourism industry would try to run them off.

Second, thanks for the tips on the taxis. Do you still tip these taxis from the airport? What about when we use one around town? How much of a tip?

thanks

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Could someone please tell me in what zone Dreams is located? Thanks.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Well, it's not public property, the airport is a private operation, within a Federal Zone.

Timeshare sales work, just like spam e-mail works, because there's always someone dumb enough to buy.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Thanks Libby for taking the time to write this information, but gosh, what a terrible way to be "welcomed home"! Yuk....I hate that part too!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Timeshare sharks were worse than last year. However, I gave the "evil eye" and ignored them. I dared them to even get in my way. Then they left me alone. I am scarey since I am five foot 2. Must be the red hair.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

I think Dreams must be Zone 3? Because Playa Los Muertos (beach) is zone 2 and Dreams is further south than that.

Michigan
Level Contributor
613 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1) Timeshare Trap at Airport and 2) Fares from the Airport

Oh man, you guys are so making me not want to go to PV next spring!!! Is the timeshare sharks at the airport worse than the ones at the Cancun airport? They were bad enough, I cannot imagine trying to get through more of them.