We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Questions ....

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
417 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Money Questions ....

Got any tips on how to carry your money around?

Should I bring mostly US or Pesos?

Will I find that i need cash more than my credit card?

Thanks!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Questions ....

Use you ATM card and draw pesos from the machine, inform your bank you are going to Mexico.

Credit Cards are NOT widely accepted.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
417 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Questions ....

so dont carry our cash and leave int he safe of our hotel?

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Questions ....

1) In my front pocket, just like at home.

2) Exchange your dollars once you get there, or withdraw pesos from the many ATMs around town.

3) CCs are generally only accepted at the more upscale restaurants and stores due to high fees and slow payment from the banks, cash is your best bet, it is accepted everywhere :)

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
417 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Questions ....

aren't the ATM fee's outrageous?

anyone feel safe with using the safe in the hotel room?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,938 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Questions ....

You're the only one with a key to your safe in your room, why wouldn't it be safe in your opinion? I've never had anything stolen or removed from a safe in a hotel room anywhere in the world, PV would be no different.

As far as ATM fees, have you contacted your bank to determine what they are yet? You cut back on fees by going less often and taking out the maximum allowable withdrawal. We can't answer your fee questions - it's your bank and your account, only you can determine what the fees are by calling your bank.

As noted, credit cards are not widely accepted - not to mention you get charged an extra fee with most CCs for using them outside the country (up to 6%).

The currency of Mexico is the Peso. The pricing in 99% of all places in PV is pesos first, and in a few places USD second. If you carry USD you'll be doing math in your head all day long to determine if you're getting the exchange rates right, plus merchants and restaurants round the exchange rate down instead of up so you lose that way as well.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Questions ....

My bank charges $5 for an international withdrawal, so as Jenny suggests I withdraw the maximum of 4000 to 5000 pesos, there is no fee from the ATM itself.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
417 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Questions ....

would I be asking for trouble to just take all my cash with me so I dont have to go to the ATM?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Questions ....

I have two ATM cards, one charges $3 per withdrawal, the other $1, I take out $400.00 at a time. At $3, that's nothing.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Questions ....

You'll get a better rate of exchange at the ATM even including the charge.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
417 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money Questions ....

Are there ATM's everywhere? I'm staying at the Crown paradise do they ahve one at the hotel?