We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pirate Ship Review

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
407 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Pirate Ship Review

Hi just go back and wanted to give my review on this excursion.

We went on the day cruise as we had children with us. It was $70 per adult and $35 for kids. I think if you book online you get a 10% discount.

Now I was very tired this day as I was deathly ill the previous night and we were seated in the sun so that may have added to my dislike of this excursion. So my first tip is that if you get seated at the edge of the ship asked to be moved pronto to somewhere in the middle where you know the canopy (once they pull it over) will cover you!

You have to pay at port fee of 30 pesos per adult to go to the marina and board the ship. Once you board you eat breakfast downstairs which was eggs, sausage and pancake I think? Then you go to your bench to sit. The pirates have dramamine if you ask which I gladly took some.

You are then assigned a pirate who gets you drinks throughout the trip.

The pirates do some dancing and play some games with the kids on your 2 hour ride to the beach they take you too. Yes 2 hours way too long for me!

Once we got to the beach it was nice but they didn't have enough snorkel gear for everyone so the people that didn't have any had to go to the beach and then go out after the people who got gear were done - and yup got to use our gear that we already used without it being sanitzed!

Snorkeling was horrible. There were little jelly fish that stung you and they had you all in this one little area where everyone was so close to each other that you kicked other people and got kicked. I dont think anyone stayed in for more then 10 min! The gear also did not fit my little daughter's mouth so if you have little ones bring your own gear.

Once you were done you go to the beach where you stay for yup 2 hours! and we forgot to put on sunscreen again before going the beach so we got really burnt. It was a nice beach I'll say that but I was not wanting to stay there for that long.

Then got back on the boat and ate lunch which was chicken, ribs, rice, bread, corn.

Then more shows for the 2 hours back! They asked you to buy a raffle ticket for $5 bucks to help some charity. Then asked you to tip your pirate, then asked you to give more tip for all the pirates as a whole once you left the ship.

They sold a picture of you that they take when you get onboard for $10 bucks as well.

So for me I didn't like it nor did my husband. Too long of a boat ride, too long at the beach, snorkeling sucked. But my kids liked it because they liked the beach.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pirate Ship Review

Sorry you didn't like it...we loved it, but we went in January when the weather wasn't as hot, but I always advice people to bring plenty of sunscreen because you are out on the ocean and on a beach....or a hat. We had no jelly fish when we were there, we had plenty of snorkel gear to go around - yes, we tipped at the end, but that is expected on all excursions. We loved the beach...my favortie beach in PV thus far, we loved the ride over because we saw whales (winter months) and dolphins...sounds like summer time isn't the best time to go. I am one that doesn't do many excursion during the summer because it is just too hot and humid then.

Again, sorry you didn't enjoy it, but glad the kids had fun.

washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pirate Ship Review

This is one of the excursions we have prebooked. I am now a liitle nervous. I did not realize it took so long to get to the island and then back again wow!! You did give me some good heads up advice about the tour though, it is one that my kids are excited about. Did you do the banana boat rides and if so can you please tell me want you think of those? Also once you get to the island do they shuttle you there or can you swim to it? Anything you can tell me will help. Thanks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pirate Ship Review

My husband, 2 kids, and mom did this excursion in June and it was fantastic! Once you arrive at the beach, they have motorboats that will shuttle you to the beach. We didn't do the snorkling because it would have been too difficult with my 18 month old, but we kayaked, and did the banana boat rides, which were so much fun. While we were there there were a LOT of jellyfish being pulled out of the water and that did keep me from getting in to have a swim. The beach however was beautiful and the pirate ship cast were fabulous.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
407 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pirate Ship Review

Like I mentioned my opinion may be a little skewed cuz I was so tired from being sick the previous night and it was REALLY HOT and I was seated in the sun the entire time! So again be sure you are not seated anywhere near the edge but in the middle where you for sure will be covered.

I think my paticular excursion was overbooked as I said they ran out of snorkel gear which normally I dont think they do.

The beach is really pretty and they do kayaking and banana boat rides. I dont know if it costs extra or not. And yes they take a speed boat and shuttle you to the beach - you cannot swim there.

With tipping yes expected but they asked for it too many times.....in our opinion.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pirate Ship Review

Yeap....the heat would get to me too!

Kayaking and banana boat rides do not cost extra - they included in the price of the ticket....my daughters love the banana boat rides, they say they are a blast.

Enjoy!

washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pirate Ship Review

From my undrstanding once you get to the island the extra's are "no charge " all in the original price but I could be wrong. Please let me know if I am we were not planning on taking lots of extra pecos. Also if the ship is not to crowded is there a place to lay down if someone wanted to. With it being 2 hours and all a nap might be nice. Okay lots of sunblock, hats, and sit in the middle I think I'm ready. Getting really excited.

washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pirate Ship Review

LOVEROFPV- thanks for the info your quicker than me.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pirate Ship Review

There is nowhere to lay down on the ship, only bench seats to sit on (a little loud for a nap, too). But the beach is nice with umbrellas to lay under to relax.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pirate Ship Review

Just for clarification purposes...this excursion does not go to an island, it goes to a beach along the bay.

For future references for newbies to Vallarta - try as best you can not to book excursions when there are any cruise ships in port. The most popular tours are sold to cruise passengers first and they fill up the boats considerably.

England
Level Contributor
318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pirate Ship Review

We got to PV next Sunday (22 July) for two weeks and I was thinking of booking this trip.

Is there anyway of finding out which days the cruise ships are in, so we can try to book a quieter day.

Thanks