We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

We're a family of five (mom, dad, 3 daughters [15, 13 & 11]) and we're thinking of enjoying Spring Break in Mexico (last week of March 2008). We've narrowed our choices down to Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta.

Puerto Vallarta sounds wonderful. Cobbled streets in the old section, plenty of nightlife, beautiful beaches, canopy tour.

Mazatlan comes highly recommended from several of our friends - but they are mostly younger couples without children.

Any thoughts?

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,194 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

Have your friends who are recommending Mazatlan, ever been to Puerto Vallarta?

I ask that because in my circles, the people who used to vacation in Mazatlan, once they went to PV... never returned to Mazatlan.

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

Dunno for sure. One couple bought a condo in Mazatlan 20 years ago and they return twice annually. One couple went to Mazatlan last year for Christmas and absolutely loved it. The last pair was there a few years ago, and highly recommended we go there.

They all liked Senor Frogs and the beaches. The Christmas couple stayed at an All Inclusive (not sure which one) and said that was the way to go.

We were thinking of renting a house or condo, on or near the beach, so that the kids could walk down and hang out in the sun. Everyone wants to do a little shopping. A canopy tour is high on our list as well.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

I've been to both and my choice would be PV. I did not like Maz at all. I don't know what it was that I didn't like about it. All I know is that I don't think I would ever return.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

If you're thinking spring break you should also know that Maz is a much more popular destination with the "Bust Loose" type college package holiday providers...as in, spring break is much more SPRING BREAK there than in PV. There are parts of PV during spring break you'd never actually know it was spring break.

Something to keep in mind if you have young kids, which you do.

I've been to Maz and didn't like it as much either. Not as tropical, felt more like an industrial city once you left the Golden Zone.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

Add me to the group who has stayed in both towns and much preferred PV to Mazatlan.

Stone Island right beside the Mazatlan cruise dock was about the only thing that I really liked last Nov when we were there. We actually found the timeshare salepeople to be way more aggressive in Maz then PV!!!

Our 15 year old son prefers PV too!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

We have been to both places. At first several trips to Mazatlan, we were alot yonger & alot more wild. Then one year we went to PV & what a difference!!! PV is WAY BETTER!!! I think it would be a better choice for you also, especially with kids. Mazatlan is WILD on spring break! Plus what I didnt like to see was all the people begging & so much poverty there!! 96 days & we'll be there!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

We've been to both and add us to the list that prefers PV over Mazatlan. We like the "feel" of PV more - like the feeling of the bay, greenery of the surrounding mountains, etc. Mazatlan has some nice beaches in the golden zone - but we found the city way too large for our tastes and very industrial. But I know others who like Maz better.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

I went to Maz. and liked it, a couple of years later I took both my sons down for the "cultural experience". Then I went to PV and never had and never will return to Maz. I thought Maz, was much dirtier (after seeing PV) and the people were not nearly as friendly.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

Add us to the list of PV over Maz. Been to Maz a couple times and I don't recommend it during spring break for your daughters. It is dirtier and smells different, too (not as fresh, I think). PV has a lot to offer (canopy tours, ATV or dune buggy rides, boat tours in the bay, great beaches, etc). Although, we did enjoy the transportation in Maz (pulmonios). Go PV - Enjoy!!

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

Well, we visited PV last January for the first time, stayed in "old town' for 2 weeks and loved it! This coming January we'll be visiting Mazatlan for the first time (3 weeks this time). We always tend to enjoy ourselves where ever we go but I would say our trek to PV was the best vacation we have had so far. We are very optimistic about Maz....but who knows we may not like it as much as PV or we may like it better. What we found last January, was that we really liked the Mexican culture and the people. So we wanted to see a little more of Mexico before deciding which area we liked the best. Don't just depend on the place where your going to provide you a great vacation...how wonderful to explore and experience a new place with your family. I'm sure you'll have a great vacation which ever place you choose.