We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

sudbury
6 posts
Save Topic
is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

like i had said before iam heading to puerto vallarta in january and i was interested in wearing a speedo while away with my wife...where i live you would not be caught dead wearing one lol...but while iam away i thought it would be nice to wear one..iam 25 and iam tall and slim, i would think that a speedo would look fine. i just dont wanna wear one and be the only guy on the beach. if you can give me any help on my thoughts that would be amazing thank you....

BC
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

Well....hmmmm..what can you say? A lot of Europeans seem attracted to the speedo look, especially Germans and especially on the Caribbean side of Mexico.

As a result you see a lot of guys who look like Gert Frobe hanging out at the beach with their 'frobe' front and centre.

Not good.

I'd go with the 'Borat' look. That'd be the very brief swimsuit with suspenders.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

go for it. Plenty do wear them ( euros, south americans etc ). Do what you are comfortable with. As a competitive swimmer I have a difficult time understanding what the debate is. the more you travel to places beyond the immediate North American destinations, the more it is common place. You could also opt for Jammers which is what most competitive swimmers wear now. - longer in the leg.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

In my world it is not admired but laughed at. Sock man, banana boat dude ect., but to each their own. I am probably too old and post children to be wearing my bikini, but I do anyway. I guess I am old enough to have earned the who cares philosophy.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

Wear what you feel comfortable in...I don't see anything wrong with a thin man wearing a speedo, just like a thin woman in a bikini.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

You'll see a lot down at the Blue Chairs on Los Muertos Beach, but if you go there - take your wife with you. LOL

st. louis, MO
Level Contributor
438 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

I saw several at our resort and on the beach. Just do what you want, I do. I wore a bikini, but defiantely don't have the beach body I did before I had the baby!!!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

You'll see a lot down at the Blue Chairs on Los Muertos Beach, but if you go there - take your wife with you. LOL

I'll always remember the older Ramrod straight guy wearing an army cap, a speeedo & both nipples pierced marching up & down Las Muertos during the late 80's early 90's.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

I am thinking that you will enjoy it more on the drinking cruises and at the lounging pads at the Westin/Regina (Marina). Others will appreciate it only if you are covered until at adult areas of beaches (=

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

ricky ... go for it!! What's "normal" anyway?!! :-)

Personally, I hate any long "bloomer-type" bathing suits, especially when 'in' the water, and having them "balloon-up"!! The shorter, "shorts-types" suits are fine, and can double as beach walking-shorts, as well as swim suits -- I wear these when out & about on the beach. But I still have two "good old" speedos from when I bought them way back in the late-70 's & 80's, and I often use these when dipping in the pool, or just lazying by the pool.

What me worry, what others do, or might think ... I'm on holidays, and not there to satisfy anyone else's fashion desires!!

Cheers!!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it normal for a man to wear a speedo in puerto vallarta?

What me worry, what others do, or might think ... I'm on holidays, and not there to satisfy anyone else's fashion desires!!

Johnny - you always come up with the right things to say and with the right attitude! lol