We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington state
Level Contributor
128 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

I've been to PVR before. I was hoping I could tell everyone what I liked/didn't like to get some ideas of other places to eat and drink at this year on my vacation. :o)

My favorite place to eat in PVR was Fajita Republic. I loved the atmosphere, and loved the fajitas. (I know not a true Mexican dish but the beef fajitas were awsome!) My least favorite place to eat at was Pipis. I loved the gucamole though-yum! I thought the food was okay, I didn't care for the super loud atmosphere. (so loud you couldn't hear the person across from you). My hubby really likes Cafe Espresso. (likes the pizza). I was looking for one great seafood place too- went to Happy Lobster last year, loved the atmosphere but the food was just okay. I think it may just have been my dish because the other people with me really liked theres. I am not looking for Italian resturants at all, unless it has really good pizza. I am really looking for some places for Good mexican food but interested in other types of food too.

Ideally, I want to go to places that are under $15 per plate. I really would love to pay less (ideally $10 per plate or less but willing to pay more than $15 per plate if its really good!). I am going to hit up some taco stands this year.. but I like to be able to sit down at resturants.

My hotel location is VIlla Del Palmar. I only go out to dinner because I am a huge fan of going to gigante's and buying food for breakfast and lunch. BUT if there is a place in walking distance for breakfast or lunch, I would like to hear about it. For dinner I am fine with taking a taxi.

By the way my little secret (if it is still open), last year I went to Gigantes durning a late afternoon for lunch and there was a little resturant/buffet style with authentic mexican food for $50 pesos! Right next to a sushi place. It was really good- there was no one else there, but my family loved it!

I am not a big drinker, but my husband loves Cornoa. Looking for a few good bars with good deals (on cornoa and margaritas for me). Or perhaps somewhere were we could buy a case of Cornoa for a good deal. (found a place in nuevo that as about .25 or .50 cents per cornoa if you bought by the case- but i don't really want to travel that far for it!)

So with all this info, any advice? If you could also advise on prices (estimate) that would be great too. All your help would be greatly appreciated it!!!!

Thank you!!!!!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

I would recommend Machis BAR B.Q. excellent food at a good price, beers are 16 pesos. also Mariscos Polo for your seafood, see here on this map:

http://vallartainfo.com/south.html

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

My favorite is Tacos de Marlin. It is located at the bottom of the ramp leading across the street from the airport. GIANT MARLIN TACOS, YUMM!!!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,144 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

we LOVED pepe's not pipi's. I can't remember what street it was on but when you are on the bus it's the first senoir frogs you pass before you get onto the malecon. You then cross the street and across the restaurant is a gas station. when you are in the area take a look and you will see it, and then GO and you will have the best food ever, i promise! It isn't a fancy restaurant at all, it's kinda a dive actually. nothing special, and the front wall is open to the street. They have the BEST quesadellas ever! MY hubby and i had a few each and a few beers and our bill only came out to 11us! i think it was 80 cents a taco or something. very cheap! also when you leave there cross the street back to the side you came from, ( the malecon side) and there is a place called el party, it is a small kinda bar, they serve drinks for a few bucks in a large styrofoam cup and you can walk around with it. they had the best long island iced teas i ever had. I think it was 3 bucks or something. if you want pm me and i can send you a pic of the outside of each of these palces to help you know what you are looking for. lin

walnut creek
Level Contributor
446 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

Cafe de Olla in the Romantic zone has world class barbecued spare ribs and great large margaritas!

San Diego
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

If you are interested in seafood - check out Joe Jack's Fish Shack in the Old Town area - I think it is on Basillo Badillo - but I can't recall off hand. Wonderful wonderful food - lots of choices, fish, shrimp tacos, etc. All very very reasonable pricing. I think we had a wonderful fish dish with rice and beans for 90 pesos. Can't beat that. The shrimp tacos were good and around the same price as well. Seems like every time we good there is some 2 for 1 drink special. Last time it was Mojitos. Yummy. Great service as well.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

I agree with two suggestions above for being similar atmosphere and prices to Fajita Republic (both also on B. Badillo, opposite side of the street from FR).

Joe Jack's Fish Shack has been very good the few times I've been there. Get a table on the rooftop part. It's a new-ish restaurant (a couple years i think?). Fish and chicken were both delicious.

Cafe de Olla is reliable for Mexican - all the standard dishes - in a fun atmosphere. I usually go late lunch/early dinner because at later in the evening it can get a lineup on the sidewalk waiting for tables and is just too crowded for me.

My breakfast suggestions are the same neighborhood. Mama Delores on Olas Altas. And Fredy's El Tucan at the Posada de Roger hotel corner of Vallarta & B. Badillo (get a table on the patio).

All these restaurants meet your price range.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
840 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

We would heartily agree with Machis BBQ and Mariscos Polo, and add Cafe Roma for thin crust pizza and very cold beer at a great price. Also, El Pechugan (sp?) for a whole chicken, plus a bag of potatos, bag of salsa and fresh tortillas for about 7 bucks - messy and delish and one of our favorite lunches. If you love tamales (and who doesn't?), Maria Candelaria for great tamales (many varieties, really cheap price - but nothing else on the menu). Don't forget the taco stands.

See maps at vallartainfo"dot"com for many of the above locations already marked on the maps for you....

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
593 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

There is a place called Tia Maria about one block past Gigantes. Very good Mexican for breakfast, lunch or dinner. There were also a couple of beach spots just past the Holiday Inn for fish, shrimps, beer and snacks. If you have not tried the whole roasted chicken from the vendor at Gigantes you must have that.

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

We jut came back from PV last night and was told about this little place next door to the San Marino Hotel called Cafe Bohemio...it is owned by 2 gay guys from Palm Springs Ca nd the food was wonderful and not expensive....my hubby had meat loaf (he lovesit) I had the shrimp suffed with cheese wrapped in bacon ...they have home made sup which comes with the meal plus rolls also your entree includes baked or fries or rice with mxed veggy...we had 2 drinks each and our bill was 41.90 US dollare.... they also have a full course rib eye dinner for 10.00 dollars...they open at 5 and close on Sundays....I highley recommend it...each dy they have drinkls specials 2 for 60 pesos.....go early as it is small outdoor seating and it gets crowded around 7....

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Cheap Eats/ Good Drinks - advice needed for Dinner

You can view the menu, with prices, for Machis, just Google :

machis menu vallarta