We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

New Jersey
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

O.k people I need an Honest opinion here. I dont know Whether to go to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. It's Me,my Wife,Son & inlaws. Please help me out here. I have been to both but only 5 hours on each island from a cruise I was on last year, So I didnt really see much. All help is appreciated. Also looking for a very Nice all Inclusive resort.

Thanks

Softballmadness@yahoo.com

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

it would help to know more about what you'd like to do.

they are just SO different!

i'm not going to go on about my personal experiences, not knowing anything else about you & your family, because...everybody has different tastes.

i'll just say...had an interesting time in cabo (with NO time spent in cabo san lucas itself, ugh!) but i love PV!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

If AI resorts are a must Cabo ones usually get poor reviews on food and all are outside of town.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

well, the food in PV is a thousand times better. as is the shopping, the architecture, the historical interest...

scenery's a toss-up, depending on what you like. get out of cabo san lucas & head up into the desert toward cabo pulmo... well...it's pretty good scenery. and i rather liked the little i saw of cabo san jose, too. admittedly wasn't much. snorkeling was better in the cabo area, but still not great when compared to caribbean islands or hawaii.

PV has the hills & all the green stuff...instead of desert. both are pretty in their way.

me? i'd go for PV every time over cabo. i really do NOT like cabo san lucas. way too "american", noisy & just....not appealing to me in the least.

but what do YOU want to do??? still the question!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

DOGMOM - I totally agree! I have only been there a few times off a cruiseship but really I wish the ships wouldn't go there anymore. There is NOTHING there - you can shop the main street in 1/2 hour (maybe less actually). I found a lot of the people to be rude and there is an abundance of timeshare sharks too. If you want to get blind drunk and go in the darkest bar in the world "Cabo Wabo" then go ahead - 'cause that is the only attraction there. Cabo is known as the place to fish and to get h**kers. I literally "cringe" when I hear another cruise passenger saying how much they love Cabo - I always ask WHY WHY WHY? lol. Next time we go there -I may not even get off the ship and we are the type that get off in every port. Now that I have vented about Cabo (sorry if I have offended anyone) - if you are the resort types and never want to leave the resort and see nothing - Cabo does have some nice resorts. But, if you want to get out and see things and experience Mexican culture etc. etc. - Cabo is not the place.

My recommendation is go to PV - it BLOWS CABO AWAY!

Canuck

walnut creek
Level Contributor
446 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

I admit it's a matter of taste, but I would say that Puerto Vallarta has so much more to offer in terms of food, scenery, activites, as well as Mexican culture. That said I cop to being prejudiced in favor of PV!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

LOL...

well, our last trip to cabo was business...invited by a company that deals with my husband's company, so it wasn't our choice.

we try our best to find our own fun where we can, hence the trip to cabo pulmo for snorkeling.

now that, i must admit, WAS a memorable adventure!

largely because we came within six inches of dying enroute when our driver (also our snorkel host) nearly drove off a cliff.

well, we arrived safely at our destination & we all got into a panga...we "snorkelers" were dropped off at a deserted beach with half a dozen bottles of water while our host took off with the scuba divers.

we'd about given up on getting picked up & were trying to formulate ways to get back to civilization and/or catch & cook iguanas before he came back to get us. ok, it was FUN!

we had tacos at a local place before heading back to the tourist traps...that was the highlight of cabo for us!

as i said, the scenery driving up through the desert was pretty, and the glimpses into rural life on the baja were illuminating.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

I went to Cabo once, never had a desire to return! However, PV is another story, I can't seem to stay away from there! So, my pick would be PV....but I am biased and I just returned late Saturday night and I am already wanting to return!

Check out Velas Vallarta for an all inclusive resort - I will be posting a review with photos very soon.

Best of luck!

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

I'll be in PV for the first time this Thursday and I have been to Cabo San Lucas. To date, I have found Cabo one of best vacations ever. We stayed at the Riu Palace - the view was stunning, the food fabulous, the resort fantastic, etc. etc. We will return there, however, we love Mexico and want to experience the as much of it as possible.

Seattle
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

Post this over in the Cabo forum and you will get the exact opposite responses - haha! But seriously, I have been to both a number of times. Most recently to Cabo this past October after 9 years absence. Yes, it has changed a lot in that time and is much more 'Americanized' than PV.

For me the preference in destination is dependent on who I am traveling with at the time. Sightseeing I would pick PV. For hanging beachside and/or water sports/FISHING then Cabo. For excellent dining, well they both are great in my opinion.

I think for either destination you will find many people who say to skip the AI because of the abundance of excellent restaurants around town that provide you with a more varied dining experience than AI.

Time of year is a factor too. I think that Cabo can feel much more crowded during peak times because the tourist beach area with the row of beach club bars is more condensed and that is where most of the action happens during the day.

I love them both for different reasons and would readily go to either at the drop of the hat! If it was me and I was traveling from the east coast, I might make my decision based on flight schedules to make the most of the vacation time actually in Mexico rather than airplanes and ports.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,722 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerti Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? Please help me....

To answer your second question. Depending on the age of your son, the Crown Paradise Club is great for families and if the son is 18, then the sister resort the adults only Golden Crown next door. Both very nice AI's. Ala carte dining, close to town and nice beaches and pools.