We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cars..buy in PV or bring down?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cars..buy in PV or bring down?

Would like your "educated opinion". I've heard pro and con both ways.

Also, what is procedure if buying used from PV american. Need to take it to the boarder?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,276 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cars..buy in PV or bring down?

Hi dbpv: The best source of information on resident issues is vallartascene (JR's Forum) or allvallarta (dot) com. (bzy1's Forum). You'll get lots of good advice there.

Most FM-3 holders with foreign-plated cars simply brought their own cars down because they already had one they trusted and liked. In the past cars in Mexico were much more expensive and reliable used cars were hard to come by. Things are changing though. I know Honda has Certified Used Vehicles. Not sure about others. Good luck.

Nuevo Vallarta...
Level Contributor
783 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cars..buy in PV or bring down?

since i recently got my truck stolen-- i´ve been looking around for possibly buying a vehicle either new or used and honestly... if i had the opportunity to just go to cali or arizona and buy one there, i would but it´s just not an option for me. vehicles, especially trucks are really expensive here i find.

buying new isn´t bad if you have the $$ to pay upfront because i just can´t breakdown to having monthly car payments at 15% interest which seems to be the average here. What happened to 3.9% maximum like back home!

you may want to head to tepic or guadalajara on a sunday when they have a market of just used vehicles.... you can find some great prices there because Vallarta tends to be expensive... just be careful with what you buy.

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cars..buy in PV or bring down?

I know someone who put their truck on ebay and got a buyer from St Louis ..who said the truck to buy there was a lot more money...he asked the same person to let him know when he was going to sell his next truck as he woud be interested in buying that one as this person took excellect care of his trucks....it was worth it for him to fly to N Y to pick it up ...all worked out very well...I don't think I would buy out of the country..

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cars..buy in PV or bring down?

Cars here in Vallarta, new or used are more expensive than their counter-parts in the States, although the price is coming down.

You cannot legally buy a foreign plated car in Mexico. (EG: A car that has Ohio plates cannot be sold in Mexico.) You run the chance of losing it as there is no real way to change the title here and it is simply against Mexican law. Also, the person selling it runs the risk of being liable for it in case of accident and other issues.

Bring in a car or truck also has issues. The car or truck is only as legal as you are. So if you do not have an FM3, the car or truck has to cross the boarder just like you. If you have an FM3 when you bring it through the boarder then it can stay here as long as you hold an FM3. Keep in mind the only people who can drive it are immediate family (and possibly other FM3 holders but that has been debateable.) No Mexican Nationals can drive a foreign plated car.

Foreign plated cars are sometimes more "noticible" when it comes to transito.

There are a few other things that may sway a decision one way or another depending on personal circumstances.

Most foreign plated cars brought into Mexico cannot be legalized although some of this will change in 2009.

5. Re: Cars..buy in PV or bring down?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 21:18