We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

Bullhead City...
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

We have booked a hotel, obtained airline reservations (1 freq. flyer and other not) for a week in late September.

As we are cruising in April, we felt the "need" for our annual trip to PV and booked it for later in the year. I have since read that many restaurants will be closed the month of September. Will this put a damper on our attempt to enjoy some restaurants that are always on our list but have not gotten to yet? Does everything really close down? We have a small kitchenette in our suite but hopefully we won't have to cook dinner there in addition to breakfast!

Please respond and let me know that we won't have to buy out Rizo's so we can eat!

Thanks!

Jo

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

I wouldn't worry so much about restaurants, but it is the height of the rainy season. September is typically the wettest month of the year.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

Just a few restaurants will close, most will not.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

1400 restaurants around the bay, you won't starve or be forced to cook everyday, no worries. (-;

As noted though, it is typically the hottest, wettest month of the rainy season so be prepared for that. The plus side though - great thunderstorms to watch, and everything is lush and green.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
685 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

Any trip to PV is not a mistake!

My Family and I (3 of us) went in Sept of 07. It was quite hot during the day (90's) but a dip in any sort of water was just the right thing to cool off. Drinking LOTS of water is a must! (in my opinion)

If you can purchase a poncho or take a travel umbrella with you. The days are wonderful while in the evenings around 6 pm the rains start. And boy can it rain. Our "usual" was to get going and then take refuge under a Palapa along the beach and watch the Lighning. It can be quite a show. Our 6 year old thought that was the coolest thing. We did not have protection from the elements so we usually sat untill the rain gave in a bit~~~ usually about an hour or so then walked quickly to where we were going. If I remember corectly it really only rains for a few hours then clears up.

At any given point, you stop to wonder if you've made a mistake by booking in Sept. Have a beer and think about tomorrows sun or something. Any day in PV is better than any day at home, when I could be on vacation!

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,998 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

You don't specifically list any restaurants you are concerned about, but I know We have been in September and did experience a few restaurants we wanted to go to closed - I can think of Red Cabbage as an example - but on the whole most were open - a simple phone call was all it took. There are many places open so I'm sure you will not starve. We found the weather still warm/humid and I recall a few rainy nights with some awesome looking thunderstorms - have some great video from that. I am sure you will have a great time.

Bullhead City...
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

Thank you all for responding and hopefully we will be able to get to most of the restaurants that we enjoy or want to try on this visit.

As for the heat and humidity, living in the desert next to the Colorado River, we are used to it. But at least this way we can enjoy being on the beach, under a palapa, or sitting around the pool with a cool drink and not thinking about driving or work!

Again, many thanks.

Jo

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,971 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

Hi Jo: One additional bonus re: restaurants is that a lot of the higher end restaurants often have really good specials in September (fixed priced menus, etc.) Watch for them in the local tourist newspaper, the Tribune, or just go by some and see what they have.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
954 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

I agree with bringing a light plastic Pancho. It can come in useful in the early evenings when the storms move in. You will love the rainstorms - the most fantastic nature show that you will ever experience. The thunder and lightning are amazing. There is nowhere like it in the world. The echo of the thunder throughout the mountains is exhilarating. There can be heavy downpours so be prepared. It is also wonderful to sleep with the lightning and thunder. Makes me sleep like a baby. Don't worry about the restaurants. Plenty to be had in September! Enjoy - you did not make a mistake.

Tucson, Az
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

Hey JoinAZ, Glad to hear you are going to PV. As another AZ the weather is always execptional where ever we go as long as it is not cold. We go to Bullhead all the time. We are hoping to retire out there when our son goes to college. We still have a few years. Glad to see another person from AZ on this site. We are going to PV June 1st. Have fun and enjoy your trip. Happy Travels, Jackie

10. Re: Visit in September -- did we make a mistake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 18:20