We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

Thinking of taking the kids on their first winter holiday. Have done the adults only couples resorts (Sandals resort) and thought it was time to take the kids. They are 12 & 14. I am looking at an inclusive place. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Holiday Inn or the Palladium Vallarta. They look like reasonal prices for the 4 of us. Does anyone have any thoughts on these places. Just want something nice/decent rooms, doesn't have to be fancy as long as clean. Heck who spends alot of time in the room anyway. Nice pool, decent food. Anyone help would be greatly appreciated.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

cougar63...how nice to take the family on a winter vacation..everyone needs one ~ even the kids.

I have stayed twice at the Sea River Towers condos, which is part of the Holiday Inn..the condos are wonderful, but I haven't seen the inside of the hotel rooms. I'm sure some one else that has stayed there will chime in. The resort itself is very nice, the pool is large with a swim up bar and also an island bar. I didn't do the all inclusive so I can not comment the food.

We love the beach area...I have several pictures posted of the beach and of the Holiday Inn - it might also help to read some of the reviews. Keep in might to get a room facing the pool area, if you face north, you will have the view of the construction next door, plus the noise.

Also, the area isn't far from downtown, you can catch a taxi or bus..or you can also walk to several malls around the hotel..it really is nice place, nothing fancy, but so enjoyable, I have no complaints at all!

Enjoy your family vacation!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

have you looked into Villa del Palmar Beach Resort, I was there a few years back and it seemed pretty happin with a teenage crowd. I might be wrong though. Use the "search" to search the forum for this hotel. It will be a great Family Vacation where ever you end up!

CC5
Spearfish
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

We are in the same deliema. Family of 3 kids, 14 girl, 11 boy/girl twins. Some friends suggested the Barcello La Jolla . Its south of the action, but great pool. AI, nice beach by the picts. Anyone have any bad/good info.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

Boy, so many different resorts and places. Booking a Sandals resort is so much easier. I will look into that resort. Thanks for the info. Have you heard anything about the Palladium Vallarta Resort??

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

If you have never been to PV before, then the Palladium is probably not for you. It is a nice resort, but it is very isolated, a good 1 hour from downtown PV. If you are only interested in R and R and not venturing into the city, then it would be OK, but on your first visit you really should expierence downtown PV.

Another good resort for kids is the Royal Decameron in Bucerias. It is again, about 45 min from Downtown, close enough if you only are planning a couple of trips to town. Bucerias is within 20 minutes, walking on the beach for souvenir shopping ect.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,249 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

Hi Cougar; Niece stayed at Holiday Inn and was not too happy.

We have been to Palladium 3 times., check out the Punta de Mita Forum.

I would say Marival(Nuevo forum) would be a good choice, wonderful beach, A1 resort,and bus only 1 block away. Royal DeCameron(Bucerias forum) might be a good choice(have not been there)as you can walk to Bucieras

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

just be aware, when we were there 2 weeks ago, i noticed a huge amount of construction going on right next to the Holiday Inn because they are building a HUGE tower next to it. (sorry, i can't remember the name of the resort) we stayed at the HOLA which is a few resorts away to the south and we couldn't hear anything at all but when we walked by the holiday inn on our beach walks it was fairly loud at times.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

What was the name of your resort. Did you like it?? It it a good resort to take a 12 and 14 year old??

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

hi, i notice you are from Winnipeg too :)

our resort was the "Hola Resort & Spa". our kids are 10 & 12 and they really loved it. there was not a ton of "organized" activities, although they did partcipate in the pool volleyball and the kayaking, but they did met several other Canadian kids to hang out with and play in the ocean/pool. my kids were just happy to swim, eat, run around the beach etc.

we liked the Hola very much. we got a fantastic deal of $598 pp for the week(air, hotel food and drinks & transfers). we were there the week of Jan 19-26. i posted a review of the Hola on TripAdvisor very recently if you want to read it.(under "salsajo").... i am really surprised at the number of negative reviews though, so be warned. i honestly don't get it - we had a fantastic week. we did not go expecting a 5 star brand new luxury resort. we did expect cleaniness, decent food, a great beach and pool and good service and we got it. it is also in a great location.

i noticed the Hola was advertised in the Wpg Free Press this weekend again in the Travel Section, but i think it was $698 or $798 a week now (still a great price!)

hope that helps! any more questions, i would be happy to answer them!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Time for Winter Family Vacation

Hi Salsajo,

Great to talk to a fellow Winnipeger!! Your expectations for a resort are exactly what I am looking for. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for your help. I will look at your review. Is this resort beachfront. What kind of room did you have. The price sounds great!! I will have to look in the Press for it.