We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about money

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oregon
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
question about money

Do I need to brush up on some Spanish when asking how much something costs? Such as taxi, beach vendors, flea market etc. Like instead of saying "10 pesos?" say "diez pesos?" I didn't take Spanish in school and I've never been to Mexico so I have no idea of what to expect!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,002 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about money

It's handy if you can understand the numbers in Spanish (especially 5, 10, 20, 30, 40) a bus driver, taxi driver, or a clerk in a small corner store might speak only Spanish.

For the most part, beach vendors have fluent English, because it's good for business!

You would be OK without a word of Spanish. But it's nice if you take a phrase book along and try at least words like: buenas dias, hola, gracias, muchas gracias, lo siento, buenas tardes, con permisso.

The best single phrase (if you know anyone at home who speaks Spanish, have them teach it to you) is to be able to say IN spanish... "i'm sorry i don't speak spanish, do you speak english?" and smile.

People are friendly and gentle generally, so Puerto Vallarta is a great place for a first trip to Mexico imo.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about money

ditto to suze2's post!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about money

i agree....

i've never needed the numbers, but those basic phrases go a long way! especially all the greeting ones like "buenos tardes", "gracias", "por favor" & "dos cervazos" LOL

"no mas" is also helpful at times

sorry, just having fun here, but it's true....the little phrases with a big smile will really csrry you through a lot!

OMAHA NE
Level Contributor
323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about money

b.i.f.uno...

One can survive very nicely for a week by knowing "cerveza, por favor" and "donde esta el bano?".

OPT

KC
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about money

...The best single phrase...is to be able to say IN spanish... "i'm sorry i don't speak spanish, do you speak english?" and smile.

"Lo siento, no hablo espanol. Habla usted ingles?"

Its pronounced, "lo seeYENto, no AHblo esspanYOLE. AHbla ooSTED inGLACE?"

The previous posters are spot on - just making an effort with a few simple phrases will open lots of doors and greatly enhance your experience!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about money

Cuanto (qwanta)questa = how much? I know I didn't spell it right......

oregon
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about money

thanks for your replys everyone. I have a horrible memory but will try to remember some simple phrases! Less than 4 weeks now......

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,956 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: question about money

If you have a memory that is iffy, just buy a small handheld english-to-spanish dictionary or phrasebook to take with you.

KC
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about money

Island Fan, you might also check the "Know Before You Go" section for some spanish phrases.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150768-s604/Mexico:I…

OMAHA NE
Level Contributor
323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: question about money

b.i.f.uno...

An afterthought: About a year ago in Playa del Carmen, a waiter was less than thrilled with my high schoolish description of a very good meal (muy bien, muy bueno).

I was advised, and he wrote it down for me, the meal was muy sabroso (very delicious). Lay that one on your waiters!

HELP: I'm tired of runny omelets at the various breakfast buffets. How do I politely say "cook them a little more, please? My current method is mas, por favor with a flipping motion of my finger.

OPT