We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

My hubby and I are looking into a beach vacation for our 5th anniversary this year. We're in Seattle, trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico. Neither of us have been to Mexico and we haven't been to Hawaii together...

Any suggestions or tips are mucho appreciated.

I don't know how to even begin our decision making... other than price being a factor.

We did a southern caribbean cruise for our honeymoon and really enjoyed it... something more loungy at a beach is preferred this time around.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

You are asking an honest question without an easy answer. Suze responded on the Honolulu forum, as did I.

I love Puerto Vallarta, it's my favorite vacation destination for many reasons. Some of the negatives that were posted on Hawaii forums are positives in my opinion. I love the fact that Mexico is not the U.S., I want to see another country. I love the different food, it's delicious. I love the people, they are less hurried than we are in California.

Kauai is also a great choice for a vacation. I love the beaches. The people are friendly. The chickens add a bit of quirky charm. The food...love Roy's, but the every day food in Mexico is much more to my taste.

In 2009, we will be going to Hawaii for my husband's birthday. He loves Mexico, but we haven't been to Kauai for a few years and he misses it. I will spend at least two weeks in Puerto Vallarta. We will be in Rosarito Beach, Mexico for our annual family trip.

I would suggest that, at some point, you spend some time in Hawaii (try more than one island) and in Mexico (try more than one town). Try each place and see which works the best for you. Have a great time, both places are lovely!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

In Hawaii it's pretty impossible to sit on a beach with a nice cool beer. That rules it out for me, sorry.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

We just returned from a wonderful vacation in Puerto Vallarta...this was our second trip to Mexico. While I thoroughly enjoyed my trip, and plan on visiting Mexico again, I would choose to go to Hawaii. My husband and I spent our honeymoon on Maui, and loved it so much we went back on our 3rd anniversary. I have also spent time on most of the other islands. I love to lay on the beach and have a beautiful view of both the ocean and the mountains. We had a great mountain view in Puerto Vallarta, but the beaches there were not the white sandy beach I love so much.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

feat2000:

I also am in Seattle. If we are close enough to each other I can show you picture of Both Mexico and Hawaii to give you my perspective. I think there is a way to contact off board through a messaging system but I dont know how. Let me know if youd like to.

My Vote is definatly for MEXICO!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
1,010 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

Last year we vacationed in Playa del Carmen and it was ok. This year we stayed in Puerto Vallarta and it was by far the best place we've been in Mexico. I enjoyed many things about it, but that being said there is no destination that I love more then Hawaii. It is so beautiful and each island is unique. Next winter I have booked a 2 bedroom condo in a new complex on the Big Island Waikola Beach Resort thru vrbo.com for $149/night during Christmas and New Year Holidays. This is an excellent price. I love the fresh seafood with the pan asian influences in cooking. Food is not cheap there, but you can find reasonably priced places to eat as well as world class cuisine. The beaches are gorgeous and the snorkeling is amazing. We enjoy visting Volcanos National Park. The other islands have there own national designations as well. Unfortunately once you've fallen in love with Hawaii all other destinations pale in comparison. You would enjoy either place, but Hawaii uses the same currency and people aren't hounding you continuously to sell you there products or timeshares. Have fun what ever you decide.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

Judging by my name, I kind of like Hawaii, the Big Island inparticular! lol But, I've decided to broden my horizon and tomorrow I am heading to Puerto Vallarta for my first trip to Mexico.

Like most others, I have my likes and dislikes in Hawaii. We went to Maui in 2005 and I spent the whole vacation wishing I was on the Big Island. Now I can't imagine going to Hawaii without hitting the BI.

As far as finding out if I like Mexico, judging from what I've heard on this forum I'm definately keeping an open mind. My biggest problem is I love the clear blue ocean and snorkeling in Hawaii, and that's just not what PV is about. We'll see though!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

I LOVE them both... for some reasons the same, some reasons different. I can't compare Hawaii to Mexico, but will attempt to compare Puerto Vallarta (18 trips to date) to Waikiki (3 trips to date).

1. Airfare from Seattle is cheaper to Hawaii

2. But hotels I stay at in Mexico are cheaper

3. You can drink on the beach in PV, not legally in Waikiki

4. Both have a fun edgy honky-tonk beach resort-y kind of vibe

5. They smell different, Oahu more floral, PV more dry and dusty but in a good way

6. Traffic, horrible both places

7. Local people, friendly both places, but PV definitely has the upper edge on this category imo

8. Bars/restaurants, both places have all kinds of choices in every possible price range from cheap to expensive

9. Sunsets, amazing both places

10. Museums, more in Honolulu

11. Cruises and activities, loads in both places

12. Public transportation, excellent both places

Suze

8. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2016, 22:30
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

Hawaii does not have to cost more, though it easily can.

I can do a 7-day vacation either place (solo) for almost exactly the same price.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
949 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help us decide ... Hawaii or Mexico?

We love both places and own a condo in Puerto Vallarta. We have visited most of the islands of Hawaii- Oahu, Maui (got married at the Four Seasons in Wailea), the big island of Hawaii, and Kauai. We loved the big island and Kauai the best when it comes to Hawaii. The beaches are much better in Hawaii than PV. The water is so clear in Hawaii compared to PV. I am planning on us going back to Hawaii for our 20th and have started saving for it already. They are both very different in their own way. IF you are wanting the best beaches and nice water, go for Hawaii. You know that it has good food and drinks already. IF you want some true culture, a friendly quaint atmosphere, the Mexican warm and friendly experience, zipline canopy tours, relaxation, good food and drinks- then go to PV. They both have great things to offer. Even though we own in PV, there are other great places all around the world to experience. Life is short - get out and do it all! Hope you enjoy wherever you decide to make your 5th special.