We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extending our Holiday

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
Level Contributor
398 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Extending our Holiday

Hello

We will be in P.V. from December 20-27. Looking at airfare, with Saturday being the most expensive day to fly, we are thinking of extending our trip for an extra two days. Looking for ideas on reasonably priced hotels to stay for only two days at Christmas time. We might consider AI as it might be fun just to hang out after all of our sightseeing. I have been reading some reviews on some cheaper AI'S. Sounds like many places serve the same thing for dinner every night. Since we would only be staying two nights, this would be ok. (My kids really get a kick out of AI'S). They like swim up bars, nice pools, and the shows at night. Doesn't have to be on the beach. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extending our Holiday

What part of town will you be staying?

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extending our Holiday

Don't most places have a three or four night (if not 7 night) min in place during that busy season??

We loved Playa Los Arcos but didn't do the AI

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extending our Holiday

"Don't most places have a three or four night (if not 7 night) min in place during that busy season??"

Yes, they do. I believe it will be very difficult to find a place to stay (at a budget place or other) for just a couple of nights during such a busy holiday time. Many traveller's have posted here on TA that (most) hotels require at least a 3-might booking.

colorado
Level Contributor
398 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extending our Holiday

We will be staying at the Playa Del Sol Costa Sur. We bought a timeshare for the week. I believe that it is south of the Romantic Zone, near Conchas Chinas Beach (sp?). It doesn't really matter what part of town we would end up in. I have even considered going to another town for a couple of days. We have been to Mexico several times but, this is our first time in P.V.

Since it's Christmas, would we have better luck finding short term lodging in another town that is not so far away? Thanks for your help.

colorado
Level Contributor
398 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extending our Holiday

Maybe we will have to extend out trip for three days instead of two. That would be just terrible, ha ha!

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Extending our Holiday

Last year (end of Feb, 2006) we had a week booked @ Playa los Arcos in the Romantic Zone (Sat-Fri) and choose to arrive 1 day early. There was a snowstorm coming into the North East and we didn’t want to get stuck. Arrived, los Arcos did not have availability. We were able to get into the San Marino (just about next door). Not the best as far as accommodations, but served our purpose for one night. They do offer AI, but I don’t remember how much it was per person. Included alcoholic drinks. I do remember the breakfast was the best of their meals. Hope this is helpful.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Extending our Holiday

Sorry about previous post. Date error. Was 2007.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,937 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Extending our Holiday

The week between Christmas and New Years is probably the busiest travel-wise outside of Easter, and even the budget hotels that allow you to book day-to-day will almost always apply a minimum night booking rule for that time period.

The holiday standard generally applies all around the bay.

If you are going to extend your trip I would consider doing it for a minimum of 3 days, and book your accommodation in advance to be sure of obtaining space. (-:

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extending our Holiday

BobL .... but you did that at the end of Feb -- not during the very busy and fully-booked Christmas/New Years holiday period. During Easter and Christmas -- the two busiest times in Vallarta -- hotels just cannot offer rooms for a night or two.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Extending our Holiday

I realize that johnny. Just was offering a possibility. She can contact them now to see if they can accomodate.