We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Banned??

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Food Banned??

I was watching the news last night and they said that FDA food inspectors were going down to the border in the next couple of days to inspect: Tomatoes, Jalapenos, Onions etc... for salmonella. I was wondering if anyone in PV has heard about this and if anyone has become sick since their stay there? Im honestly not a big "picky" person about food and rumors -- i love my tomatoes and i love my JALAPENOS!!!!! so im just curious if you guys know anything about this?

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Banned??

From what I've seen on the news many of the folks that came down with salmonella reported eating salsa, so since banning tomatoes didn't work it sounds like they are checking the rest of the ingredients.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Banned??

Everyone is eating as usual, no one is sick.

Didn't this happen in the US ?

Not our problem, everyone wants to blame Mexico, so sad.

Calgary
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Banned??

Hola! I just got back last night after being in PV for a week. Some people I met had some stomache issues- but I was totally fine.

I ate everything- guacamole, fresh salsa, fruit, salads with no problems at all. Delicious!

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Banned??

My impression was the latest tomato scare was from produce grown here in the U.S.?

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Banned??

The FDA really has no idea what and were the produce came from that the salmonella saint paul is from so they are investigating any avenue possible.

We've been eating tomatoes, onions (green, white and red) jalepenos, lettuce, etc. since the outbreak in the U.S. with zero issues.

Anyway, i watch the Mexican news twice a day and KTLA in the morning and all news programs have had different reports but all say the same thing, the FDA is clueless:)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Banned??

Nelly, I've lived my entire life in California. Much of the produce we eat comes from Mexico, even that sold at upscale markets. My son lives in San Diego. Every couple of weeks, he goes to Rosarito Beach, Mexico. He fills his car with inexpensive gas and goes to the grocery store. The produce is excellent and less expensive. He stocks up on things like chiles, avocados, and limes. He eats at his favorite taco stand-cilantro, jalapenos, and onions on his tacos. I think the FDA needs to stay home!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Banned??

We get the same 'lousy' tv-news coverage up here as well, and despite it, we continue to shop and enjoy the great Mexican produce that's available in the markets here. Cantaloupes this year have been fantastic - good prices, tasty, and juicy!! The asparagus as well.

When in Vallarta last (April-May '08), we ate many local tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, potatoes, and several different kinds of fruits -- no ill-effects with anything.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Banned??

yeah the news can mess things up at times.. and therefore complicate them! i ate everyting in vallarta last year too... without any problems! fda can't seem to find where the problem is coming from so they are starting to inspect the food coming in from mexico.. thats according to the news. Im there in 6 days and i gotta have my veggies!!!!! haha...

nel

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Banned??

I'm with you, Nelly. I'd rather risk illness than go without my veggies. I like to go to Boca Bento for their wok-seared veggies. I went their several times for vegetables and a glass of wine, staples of a California woman's diet. The asparagus at TeatroLimon and the zucchini at La Piazzetta are excellent.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Banned??

I went "there", not "their".