We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

Arriving in three weeks and wanted to know if Crossing the Bridge to catch a cab still a way to get to PV.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

Schlepping all our stuff over the highway to maybe save the price of our first round of drinks is not how I want to start our vacation, by using an airport taxi all the sooner we'll be enjoying a frosty beverage with our toes are in the sand :-) JMHO

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,270 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

I always take a regular airport taxi, just go to one of two booths located right in the lobby of the airport.

Sure crossing the pedestrian bridge is still possible, but the savings is an unknown. Some people get a good deal of about 1/2 the price, some have posted they paid within $1 of the airport price. Simply not worth it to me to schlepp around with baggage in the heat. I want to be off to my hotel as quickly and painlessly as possible.

You can easily save this difference of cost (~$12usd at most) about a million other ways during your vacation.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

Teduardo has the right idea. My frugal spouse crossed over the bridge. He paid exactly the same as an airport taxi. Instead of being on the beach with his toes in the sand, he was sweaty from lugging his bags and annoyed at how much he spent for a taxi.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

Totally agree with the previous posters. Arranging, and getting an airport taxi is so easy and quick, I just can't imagine travellers doing anything different. Why make a potential hassle out of your arrival?!!

Over our past several years of travel to Vallarta, we have always been amazed at just how quick we've done the airport taxi thing, and arrived at our hotel - all checked in, and enjoying a cold one!!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

Agree with everyone.

The city cabs have gotten wise to this practice and now charge about the same as the white federal cabs. They know that after that walking and lugging you are not going to go back to the airport or wait for the next one if he is the same too. There are no "published" rates or meters so they do it.

Just take and airport cab, it's quick and easy and you are on your way. For the cost of your trip. the $10 or so is not worth getting off to a bad start.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

Not too long ago, if you had only a very light carry-on bag, it made sense to cross over the pedestrian bridge and get a taxi on the other side. The drivers charged a lot less than the airport taxis. But I also heard that the drivers "got wise" and have started charging about the same money as the official airport taxis. It just doesn't pay, after a long flight, most likely with no food on the plane, to schlepp your bags across the bridge. Just go through Immigration, Customs and the corridor leading out to the main airport terminal and pay at the booth marked "TAXI". They will sell you a ticket to wherever you are going in the PV area and get you into a taxi in no time.

Have a good trip!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

If you're going north of the airport and you don't have too much luggage it might make sense.

Andover, Minnesota
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

Last year was our first year with no "prearranged/package transportation"...so I was all in a panic about getting a taxi at all, let alone walking anywhere to get one that was cheaper. So we made a b-line through the timeshare deal and went to the taxi booth and within 5 minutes we were on our way to our hotel. It was $16. We gave him $20...and then I think read here that tipping the taxis isn't necessary/expected/heard of?? Anyway...the $20 was worth it to us. We were at our hotel within probably 15 minutes. It was pretty slick!

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

City taxi drivers who just take you from point A to point B do not expect a tip.

But a driver who handles you luggage or goes out of their way to help you, it is customary to tip them.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Taxi or Crossing over the Bridge

As Ted said, normally city drivers do not expect a tip. But those that handle luggage or go out of their way should get one.

In mid June 06, we went downtown on the bus early in the morning to show some friends around town, After a couple of hours in the heat and humidity, and severaal large bottles of water, Barb and I were wilting. We decided to head back to the GCP. We hailed a cab, checked the fare ($5), and headed back to the GCP. The driver noticed Barb was very flushed so he asked if we wanted the AC. After a quick yes, the windows were up and the Ac was blasting on high. By the time we got to the GCP, we were freezing and it felt great. He got $10 for that $5 cab ride and it was well worth it.