We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking South from Los Muertos

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking South from Los Muertos

I'm hoping to play part mountain goat this trip and if it doesn't kill me first, hope to explore some new areas by foot. One thing I'd like to do is walk from Playa Los Muertos south along the beach and "over the rocks" to some of the southern beaches. Given that high tide is around mid-late morning, can anyone who's done this suggest the best time to start out to be able to navigate the rock outcroppings along the south side. How far should I be able to safely walk and about how long would it take? I'm taking my watershoes and hope to get some good photo ops. I suspect I'll bus or taxi back...or they may just have to scoop me up along the beach somewhere and haul me back on a truck.;)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

Hi Deb! Are you gonna walk down to see us? ;-)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

Fitz, if I tried to do that, I might make it there by Easter.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

Deb, when are you gonna be here?

Here's a daily tide table for Puerto Vallarta

tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

I come in mid-October for a month. I have no idea what day I'll be feeling hairbrained enough to actually do this. It's just something I've wanted to do. I had Googled some tide tables as I know nothing about that either and saw that it should be high around 11-ish in the morning. So I'm assuming I need to get an early start. Given that I am not a morning person, this should be extremely character-building exercise. I'll try to wear something neon so if anyone sees a neon blob floating off the beach, please have someone haul me in before I become fish food.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

I used to always take that beautiful hike, over the rocks and then quite a ways.

I don't recall any area that would be a problem with a high tide. I would go all the way to the condo building with the nice restaurant. I don't think one can go any further than that.

Happy hiking!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

That sounds like Lindo Mar. Thank you. That gives me an idea how far I might be able to go.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

Deb,

You know those fish just love neon lures and bobbers. Let me know what day you plan your adventure and I will spot you in the boat and haul you in if need be, LOL.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

Deb, we'll meet half way. I'll bring the drinks. lol.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

Deb, daughter and I did the walk, as far as Lindo Mar, a couple of times last Nov-Dec. We always started about 9-9:30 am -- which allowed a little time for the sun to be truly 'up'.

I don't believe there's a real problem anywhere along the route, should the tide be high. There are more options for walking when it's low (on the beaches and trails), but enough as well, when its high (on trails).

It's a lovely, scenic walk, with a good many photo opportunities along the way, and great cove beaches to visit and enjoy. There are some rock outcroppings to climb over, but nothing too strenuous. Just ensure you have the shoes to protect your tootsies!!

How long it takes depends on what you do along the way. If just walking, from one end to the other, it would likely take about 30-35 minutes.

Enjoy!!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking South from Los Muertos

I did it the first time in the early 90's. I went a bit beyond The Lindo Mar but was stopped by a huge Doberman when I attempted to use a private walkway to get around some rocks. I then Quickly backed-up returning to the Lindo-mar beach! LOL