We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
phoenix
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

I am writing to find out if anyone has had a good experience with this company. We received our confirmation email today for our December dates to Puerta Vallarta. They need me to fax in a copy of my Passport, I.D. and give them my credit card information. I am leary of doing this due to seeing some bad reviews.

Please help me make a good decision here. Plus I seen someone has mentioned about the 150 dollars for airport tax, is this true and do they hit you with this after they book your tickets? That way if you back out and not want to pay that they can charge your C.C. the full price of the airline tickets??

thank you and God bless!

P. Salter

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
243 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

.is it a scam? Yep...

BTW: You don't need a passport to enter Mexico, and tell them you don't have a credit card... You're just bringing enough cash to cover all of your expected costs. Without a CC they can't do the big time share sale on you and pressure you into buying right there with of course your CC. Bet they're suddenly not interested.

phoenix
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

Thank you..

Yes, we do need passports when flying into Mexico. If we were driving we wouldn't that part I do know is true due to I talked to the courts and the U.S. department of state.

The timeshare presentation I do not mind going too. I have been to them before and have walked away. we have bought into one of them but have walked away from quite a few as well.

My main question is to see if someone has taken this vacation from this company and got what they were promised.

Just very leary about giving out my C.C # even though I do understand why they are asking for it. They have probably been burned in the past from someone saying they would go, the company then booked the nonrefundable tickets for whatever hundreds of dollars they paid and then was out that money. So it does make sense to me just really want to make a good choice due to I dont want to be out the money especially that close to xmas. We have kids.

thank you for your reply I do appreciate it

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,431 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

I have never had any dealings with this particlar company but it appears to be the same type of timeshare presentation that is offered by alot of timeshare properties.

American's do have to have a passport to enter Mexico by air, so that is not out of line to ask you for it. They are not going to book people that have no passports and at the last minute can't travel due to lack of the proper documents, post 9/11 homeland security/TSA now require alot more passenger information that you used to have to provide. Most airlines that offer travel deals show the lowest price they can for the fare and then say it does not include taxes. Years ago it used to be that you had to pay your departure tax at the airport separate from your ticket but that has changed and the majority of carriers just charge it up front all inclusive with your ticket. If you are responsible for any of the cost of the trip they are going to ask for your credit card to pay for it. But they also use it to determine if you even qualify to purchase a timeshare financially.

I would steer clear of it and go to PV by booking on my own but that is just my opinion. Alot of people like to play the timeshare game as a way to travel. It isn't a deal if you get there and can't stand the place.

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,719 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

I thought that until 2009, you don't need a passport to enter Mexico by air, but you DO need it to return to the U.S. I'd be real leery about giving ANY unknown person my passport or credit card info. If you really want to go to PV, start looking for the lowest airfares you can find. All taxes, fees and the cost of your entry visas will be included in the price of your tickets. (I know airfares are really high right now, but maybe you'll be able to locate something on-line.)

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
928 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

I am not familiar with this company at all, but googled it out of curiosity. It doesn't bring up any positive information; however a number of "rip-off" blogs. I would be very hesitant in sending all of that personal information and money to a company that is so vague. If you are leery it may be for good reason.

Good luck

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

Here is a link to their website. You should read their terms of use, especially #3 and #18 regarding airport tax/fees and cancellation.

http://www.formpg.com/

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,431 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

quote: I thought that until 2009, you don't need a passport to enter Mexico by air, but you DO need it to return to the U.S.

True to get back into the US you have to have a passport....so unless the OP went down on this "looks too good to be true vacation" and decided they loved it so much that they didn't want to return home, how are they going to get back into the US without a passport? Every airline that you book round trip travel to Mexico on requires your passport information.

Post 9/11 all airlines are required to submit a list of passengers within a timeframe that allows Homeland Security to check them against any no-fly lists. If there is a question on a passenger their reservation is flagged in the airline computer and they are told "You have been selected by your airline for secondary screening and they are sent through a secondary security screening. In addition every so many passengers are randomly selected for this additional screening. Can you tell I have been there done that, LOL.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

I believe traveling with your U.S. passport has to be at least six months before it's expiration date. That is what our travel agent told us.

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
969 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

These programs are called fly and buys and usually demand that you go to at least two timeshare presentations. You better take a look at what happens if they disqualify you at one they will force you to go to another and they will stick the whole bill to you,after all they already haveyour number. The industryis getting slow because of the economy and the hundreds and hundreds of comments that are written on the subject of timeshare on Tripadvisor and other forums. They have built a very dubious reputation throughout Mexico and is hard earned and well deserved. There are several online tour sites that wallow in the business with free tours and they are easy to spot because they will have a list of qualifications and of course want a credit card number. I suggest you deal with online companies that dont offer anything for free because you are telling them too much,like credit,arrival and destination information. I have one suggestion for what its worth. Dont take the bait if you have misgivings at this point you are probably right.

What will they think of next.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mexico paradise getaways...is it a scam?

This is for sure Timeshare- and like the last poster said, I would be very leary. There are similar promotions for Tahiti Village in Las Vegas. Many people have fallen for their fly and free stay deals and have written about the bait and switch of the hotel they were to stay at, getting stuck paying for things since they did not comform to every single guideline, attend every presentation they say you must to receive the vacation, etc.

In this dsy in age, if something sounds to good to be true, it proabably is.