We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone use

alberta
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
cell phone use

Has anyone used their cell phone to call back home to alberta canada. I am wondering how much it costed and if cell phones work in PV.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone use

no because I called my provider (Rogers) and to call back to Ontario Canada was something like $3.60 a minute! It's expensive!

Get a calling card, can buy for $5-10 US and get like 30-60 min to call Canada. Thats what I did. Lots of stores sell them there....

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone use

Husband has used his business cell phone in PV with no problems. But his plan thru' Telus requires him to phone them before lvg Canada and they provide a code to program into the phone, to use it down there. We have also started using Skype from our laptop and find that it is cheaper, reasonable and dependable. Now he just uses his cell phone to check messages from time to time and returns calls thru' skype. (We stay three to four weeks at a time.)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone use

Call your cell phone provider and see if they have a Mexico plan. I don't know about Canada, but I can tell you what my US provider had to offer. I checked with mine, and my roaming charges would have been around $3.00 a minute. I signed up for a $4.00 Mexico plan, and my calls were only .59 cents a minute. Now that I received my bill with my Mexico calls on them, I can cancel the $4.00 plan. It was easy and much cheaper. I am sure your provider has a similar plan.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
alberta
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone use

Can anyone else from canada comment on cell phone use.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone use

Fido charges $3.50 per minute to talk and 30 cents per text message. My gf answered her phone once because someone keeped calling and 8 minutes later the bill was $28. Her brother wanted to know how the vacation was going. Like fitzla said if you call before going and add international roaming you might be able to get a deal.

Gilles

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
982 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone use

There is a cyber cafe down by the Sterling Bank that has some excellent rates for calling back to Canada and the States. Friends of ours that rent a condo down there was using it to check on the kids last year... Good Luck...

the best suggestion is to get a phone card to call back home.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone use

Several bars here have internet phones and offer free calls north of the border, with a purchase.

Lone Star, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone use

Just want to add my little discovery not related to calling Canada.

I have a prepaid Nokia cell phone from T-Mobile(no monthly contract, etc...just buy minutes as needed).

When I was in Puerto Vallarta the week of Oct. 18th thru the 25th(just last week), I took some pics from my cellphone and decided to text it(with a message)to my sister in London(U.K.)and another one to my niece in California.....and to my surprised, they received it and even text me backed! I did it many times that week and was charged only 10cents per text! By the way, I did'nt try calling somebody,I just text them.

The funny thing was, my son tried to text his friends in the U.S. but it won't allow him to do it! Maybe because his provider is AT&T(his cellphone is also a prepaid like mine). Also, cellphone won't work in Puerto Vallarta like mine!

So, if you have just a prepaid with T-Mobile, you might be able to text somebody outside Mexico..like me! =)

Also, I did'nt buy any Mexican Sim card, nor informed T-Mobile that I'll be in Mexico. It was just by impulsed that I tried texting...and it works!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
California
California
United States
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phone use

While there with our 3 young college sons in August, we warned them no cell phone. Don't call, don't answer. We had checked with our carrier (we are on a verizon family plan)& it was very expensive. We did not apparently tell them specifically no texting, so we got burning with a hugh texting bill even though our plan includes unlimited texting within the US.

Also, we purchased a calling card in the hotel lobby to check in at home and it worked out fine for us, but at check out we were told we were lucky not to have been charged the additional, and substantial connection charge added to each call when using the room phone. Evidently, you're supposed to use the pay phone in the lobby. So if you go this route, check with the desk which hotel phone you should use when you call.

Antioch, California
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: cell phone use

The fiancee and I were in PV in Sept. We had to call home a couple of times to make sure the house was still standing, WE HAVE TEENS, and when we got our Verizon bill we were happy to see very minimal roaming charges,I've tossed the bill but I'd say 9 or 10 dollars. Our phones worked even after Verizon told us they werent sure if they would! HAve a nice trip, Debbi and Jeff