We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

Hockeytown USA
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Topic
Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

My wife has been told that there has been a rash of kidnappings going on in PV. I have done my research and found nothing, but assured her I would continue to look into this. So, can anyone tell me what the scoop is? We leave on Saturday, and I don't want to have to spend the whole week at Dreams - I need my Barcelona Tapas fix!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

Can't believe a Bad A$$ from Hockeytown would worry about some punk kidnappers! LOL

Actually you wife I believe is confused although Kidnapping is a top 10 sport in Mexico second only to Columbia. However it ain't Yankee Tourists they are looking for unless you are into drug trafficking.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

i haven't heard anything about any kidnappings.

puerto vallarta is a very safe place imo. enjoy barcelona tapas, i'm sure some of the locals will comment on this further.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,042 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

I've read on the Lonely Planet Mexico Forum that there are kidnappings and killings in some far northern areas of Mexico. These incidents are related to the drug trade.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

The kidnappings (Not in Vallarta but in the border areas) are directly involved with the drug trade for the most part with exception to places like in the D.F. where the kidnappers target uber-wealthy families. There, they also have a scam where they may target someone they think is wealthy and drive them around to ATM machines to withdraw cash.

I have not heard of a tourist being kidnapped here and I keep up with the news. Tijuana and Monterrey and other major border cities is another story.

I feel safe here, much more than I did in Minneapolis.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

I have NEVER heard of a tourist being kidnapped in Puerto Vallarta (and I've been traveling there for 15 years now and keep up with the news).

The few things that have happened most often seem to be related to tourists being drunk (young guy mysteriously falls off balcony, as example) or on very rare occasion, and this only in recent times to a theft (report of having cash stolen after using an ATM, again a single incident I remember reading).

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

Your wife is misinformed. Totally untrue.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

I can't recall a single tourist kidnapping anywhere in Mexico apart from near the border. However, just to correct one poster - Mexico has overtaken Colombia in number of kidnappings and is now finally first in the world at something....

Hockeytown USA
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

Thanks - I already knew this, but was just doing what is necessary to make her more comfortable. The first time we went to PV about 13 years ago there were army trucks driving the streets with soldiers or police carrying BIG guns. That actually made her more comfortable. We haven't seen that in the last 6-7 years.

I can almost taste the paella!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

The Army or Navy still drive around, more so over the major Holidays like Semana Santa and around Christmas and New Years. They also drive through town, as we only have one true road in and out, when they go out for training or into other cities or States or to check-points.

Both the Army and Navy assist when there are disasters and in patroling for drugs and arms.

Recently, there were check-points all around the Bay and in thr cities where the State police, local police and the Army were stopping cars and searching for illegal substances and arms.

illinois
Level Contributor
553 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kidnapping in Puerto Vallarta?

Nice headline to blurt out in a travel blog!