We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restuaurants in PV?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best restuaurants in PV?

I have been to PV before for only 3 days. This time I have 6 days and want explore. There are so many restaurants in town and so little time. My husband and I are foodies and will be staying at Villa Premiere and would love your reccomendations. Within walking distance is ideal (love to walk so a 30 min. walk is fine). We are also willing to take a taxi to any place that is a "must try" in the area. Can't wait to get your responses........

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

I could not go to PV without eating at The Red Cabbage. Best Mole North of Oaxaca among many many other great foods.

chicago
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

What do you folks think of La Palapa vs. Vista Grill. I know they're the same owners but is one better than the other? Also have heard mixed reviews of El Set. Any opinions?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,400 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

I prefer Vista Grill for the meal, La Palapa for after dinner cocktails/coffee. El Set I would replace with their next door neighbour, La Playita at the Lindo Mar Resort...much better IMO, and better priced.

Now, for the OP...in my recent trip my top 3 best meals were, in no particular order:

Encanto

Taste of Italy

Cafe Bohemio

My top three choices for a true foodie though would be the aforementioned Vista Grill, Encanto, and Agave Grill. 3 very different menus, 3 very different ambiences, 3 very wonderful experiences. Unfortunately many of my intended dinner targets were kyboshed this trip due to an unscheduled illness, but I would definitely hit the above 3 for sure.

Taste of Italy and Cafe Bohemio are wonderful choices at extremely reasonable prices. At T.O.I. I recommend the pasta in garlic, oil and butter. At Bohemio you can't go wrong with the coconut shrimp; and Sol's soup is to die for (thank you Sol for your Lentil, it was heaven!).

New Cumberland
Level Contributor
793 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

Our votes for the two best restaurants would be Trio and Cafe d'Artists. If going to Cafe d'Artists try very hard to get a table in the outdoor garden (its worth waiting in the bar an hour to get those tables).

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

We loved Cafe Bohemio so much we ate there twice in three nights!!! Soup was to die for as was the coconut shrimp, actually everything was good. I have Sol's meatloaf recipe and we love it :)

The value at that restaurant is outstanding!!

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

The restaurants that PVjennybean said are the best....we did not make it to Encanto but plan to on our trip in February...Cafe Bohemio is a must....we stayed at the Lindo Mar last Oct and he food is excellent and inexpensive....the crepes for breakfast were out of this world....Sol made tomato soup the night we were there and it was excellent...we went back again....and will make it a point to try Encanto and Teatrlimon and Cafe Roma...will go to Cafe Bohemio a few time as we will be there for 3 weeks......can't wait to see Sol again...

chicago
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

Depending on when you're there... The 16th International Festival Gourmet is Nov. 13 to 23, with events at several restaurants, all open to the public... We found this out quite by accident and were thrilled it is during our stay at the Villa Premiere. They've got a web site - festivalgourmet.com...

Has anyone been to this?

chicago
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

Wow, thanks for everybody's replies. I think I ate at Cafe de Artist 8 yrs ago outside. I'm sure it was very good but would like to try some others. Great suggestions from all of you. Will report to the other 5 women I'm going with and maybe try a couple. We are staying at an AI but will definitely venture out for a few good meals.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

I agree with Jenny's discussion of Vista Grill vs. La Palapa.

Amongst gourmets and foodies, Trio is highly recommended. Also, for a taste of Mexican, Agave Grill.

As parsimonious folks, our favourite evening out in Vallarta (bar none) is to go to Cafe Bohemio for dinner and then move on over to La Palapa to sit in the bar and listen to music, ordering after dinner coffee and a shared dessert. (The days Alberto Perez, the owner, sings--usually Monday and Tuesday nights are sheer magic).

I like Cafe des Artistes but, it's very international, i.e., you could be anywhere in the world in a top-notch restaurant so if time is limited I'd give it a pass.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best restuaurants in PV?

All great ideas so far...but I will add one more to the list, Barcelona Tapas - great view of the bay and make reservations 1/2 hour before sunset, so you can enjoy the view prior to sunset, during sunset and after sunset!!! Great food and service too!

50 more sleeps until PV and I'm already dreaming about the food!! haha!