We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

Seattle
Level Contributor
54 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

Which store has the best selection/prices? We are staying in Nuevo.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

My two cents.... I've been to Mega and WalMart. We stay at the Grand Mayan. While the Mega is a bit closer to the GM, I would go to the WalMart as WalMart has a better selection of beer and alcohol. If that is not of concern to you, then pick the one that is closest to wherever you are staying.

Both are clean, bright, good customer service, great selection, and good prices. You will be amazed by the prices on produce and alcohol.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,712 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

It also depends on what you want to buy. We find that the Sam's Club next to Walmart has a great selection of liquor at good prices if you happen to be a Member. Soriana, a bit farther towards downtown, on the opposite side of the street just past where the Cruise ships dock has a great selection of imported goods (more familiar things to what we have in the US and Canada) and a good selection of liquor at competitive prices. It's also a size that's easy to navigate if you're not used to the store.

We only go to Walmart if we're looking for things like tools or applicances.

Seattle
Level Contributor
54 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

Of course beer and alcohol are the top two items on our shopping list!! We usually stay at Mayan in Marina and shop at the store between the airport and marina. This year it is Grand Mayan, and think the consensus seems to be Walmart. Thanks!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,948 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

Just my opinion in terms of distances but if you are staying at Grand Mayan which is in NV, I would say the Mega Commercial in NV would be much closer. If you are going to be in PV then the other stores are great. The Mega is also a good store and closer to Grand Mayan, I found it better than Walmart in PV.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

There seems to be some controversy about where the Mega store is really located. I live part-time in Bucerias and I think it is on the far south side of Bucerias, not in Nuevo Vallarta. It is located at the first stop light south of the entrance to Bucerias (the road to the Royal Decameron). I've talked with local people in the store and they said that they thought is is on the far north side of Mezcales, the town that is between Bucerias and Nuevo.

Anyhow, I like the Mega store a lot and am there every few days when I'm in Bucerias. Also, I've heard that a new Walmart will be going up in Mezcales. Don't know if they've broken ground yet or when it will open, but we'll have the best of both worlds then!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

The Mega is further south than the RDC entrance, it is at the Flamingos golf course, before the town of Mezcales. I agree that it is every bit as good as Walmart. Have also heard about the new Walmart and it looks like they were leveling the ground when we were there in Oct.

USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

We are headed to PV (actually Sayulita) in Dec...is the Mega the one one the east side of the highway betw NV and Bucerias? I recall last year that a new building weas being erected - I thought it was a Costco but then learned that C was in PV. Does Mega have kitchen supplies like pots, pans, utensils? Also, is there a fresh fish mkt. in the Mega (like Wal-Mart) or can you recommend a fresh fish market north toward Sayu?

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

Yep, Comercial Mexicana/Mega carries everything from clothes, to liquor, to fish, deli stuff, pots, pans and even stoves:) and they have a farmacia too.

It is on the mountain side of the main highway. Easy in and easy out when heading North.

Fort Dodge, IA
Level Contributor
52 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

Does the Mega carry super fresh Tuna?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mega mart nuevo vs. walmart

You wont get super fresh tuna at a big store like that, look to the local fishmonger stores.