We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No time for vaccination - please advise

Jersey City, NJ
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
No time for vaccination - please advise

Hello, Puerto Vallarta expert ot anyone, we will be grateful for your reponse:

Me and my wife are going to be traveling to Puerto Vallarta and/ or Oaxaca in two weeks. Very short notice - yes, and we are a bit concerned.

First of all - we will probably have no time for vaccination (hepatitis A, thypoid were on our list) - would you say it was still advisable to go? We are concerned, especially that it is a rainy season and we expect lots of mosquitos/ other bugs.

And also we may be probably staying in a few rustic places.

We are not even sure if everyone, who goes to Mexico for a week or two takes injections, but ... it's better to be safe

Another thing: the weather. But we guess, we just need to keep our fingers crossed that it won't rain all the time? Can anyone say if the weather is really bothersome?

Thank you,

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No time for vaccination - please advise

Hi, we never get any type of injection before we go, and have never got sick, we're careful where we eat & drink though. Theres alot of Pharmacias down there if you do need anything. I hear the weather is awesome right now. Go & have a great time & don't worry!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: No time for vaccination - please advise

Of course contact your doctor if you are concerned, but in terms of Typhoid or malaria, there really is no need to worry unless you plan to camp out in the jungle with no bug spray at all. (This is from my doctor)We have traveled all over Mexico and India...She said the side effects from the medicine are worse than the chances of getting sick. And, if you do feel sick after the trip go see the doc. The only time you get VERY sick is if you leave things untreated. We have gotten Hep. A shots, but only in the last two years 'cause the Doc. said why not, no side effects etc. But if you don't have the shots and are staying in a city and don't plan on eating off of the steet carts, then there are no worries, besides for adults the shots come in a series of two over a six month period, get one now and one later. Hope this Helps

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,470 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No time for vaccination - please advise

Unless, you have an unusual medical condition, it's not necessary to have any type of vaccinations especially for the Puerto Vallarta area. Not sure about Oaxaca. But I wouldn't hesitate to go there on a side-trip. You might want to ask this same question on the Oaxaca forum (if you haven't already).

As for the weather, it's absolutely beautiful here right now (Puerto Vallarta region). There has been very little rain. Lots of sun. Nice calm, clear ocean. Hope the weather holds out for you.

Also, here in Puerto Vallarta itself, it's fine to drink the water from the tap although I realize some people are uncomfortable doing that. We have an ice-making fridge and we always drink the water and use ice from our fridge. And in city restaurants we have no worries about using ice. However, outside the city limits it depends. There it's better to drink bottled water, unless you're at a place which deals primarily with tourists (like a resort).

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No time for vaccination - please advise

good advice here! I never get vaccinations for Mexico-and would be cautious about any such boosters any more....

Jersey City, NJ
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No time for vaccination - please advise

Thank you for all advice and such prompt responses. I am really suprised in the most pleasant way - Tripadvisor is a realy find !

The reason I am concerned about vaccination is that we are suppose to be staying at Majahuitas - which is pretty secluded and I guess we can expect some biting bugs. My wife ALWAYS get bitten, so that's why the concern.

Thank you again,