We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

We will be staying at a condo in the Romantic Zone this winter and are looking for a close by supermarket for our shopping. Are there any within walking distance of the malceon or do we need to take the bus? We shopped at the Commercial Mexicano in Manzanillo last year and found everything we needed. Is there one in PVR. Also we know there is a Soriano and a Wal Mart near the marina. Any others we should know about. Thanks for any info.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

rizo's (not major but good)

http://www.vallartainfo.com/south.html

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,693 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

Rizo's is your go-to place! It's a great store. Two-stories with household stuff, kitchen wear, linens, dishes, toys, school supplies found upstairs & baked goods, staples, liquor, papergoods, deli, fresh produce, dairy, spices, toiletries, ATM machine on the downstairs level. There's always taxis available outside the exit.

Guadalajara Pharmacy is another good resource on the south-side, open 24 hours, with a good selection of basic groceries, beverages, bakery, deli items plus of course the drug store pharmacy part.

I also like Ley's on Ave Mexico but that's a bit further, north of the river up in El Centro, but easily doable if you walk there and hop a bus or taxi back. It's has a somewhat larger food and produce selection and slightly more modern feel imo.

Definitely no need to go all the way back out to the Marina.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will keep them in mind when we arrive.

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

This is only my opinion after our experience at Rizo's last year...we stayed at the Lindo Mar and that was the closest one to shop but I was not happy with it at all...if I had to do it again I would pay the 100 pesos for a taxi to the Soriana's in Pitital...it is a beatiful big superstore....clean and the prices are much cheaper than Rizo's...so what you will pay in a taxi will make it up for the bargains....I have also been to the one by the Marina which is also very nice but not as big as the Pitital...in February we are at the Sheraton and there is a Mega right down the raod but I still pay the taxi and go to pitital....but it's up to you

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

Sorry I goofed and hit the button twice...excuse me please...thanks

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

Joan...I also love the Soriana stores - but did you know that the old Gigante store in Plaza Caracol is now a Soriana store....and much closer than going to Pitillal.

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

Thank for the ino...yes I did hear about it but completely forgot about it...is it just as nice..the one by the Marina is also very nice but not as big..the reaso I like the Pitital store is they have a good selection of men's shirts and heva bought hubby some great ones real cheap also if we forget something then thay do have a good assortment of clothing and other things...but if anyone should go to the new one please post how it is...I will definitely try it.....

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

Take a walk to Camachin and Cardenas and shop at the central market. Much, much cheaper and very fresh. Also on Carranza and Naranjo there is a great meat market. Rizo's es muy carro. like 20 %. Or take a bus to Mega, near the Buenaventura.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,416 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

While Rizos is handy for some good basics, staples and sundries, I don't really find their produce department all that great on my last trip just a couple of weeks ago. It's fresh, but the selection is minimal...if you were looking for more than just bananas, apples or limes and such, I'd probably opt for a trip out to the hotel zone to the Soriana by the maritime terminal, or the former Gigante-now-Soriana in Plaza Caracol. (as a side note their import section at Rizos is larger now, but generally more expensive than the same products at Soriana or Mega unless you luck out once in a while and find a bargain...you really have to pay attention to the price tags or you can easily get burned...)

The one near the cruise ship terminal especially has a very good and very fresh produce section.

I used to be a fan of Mega but not so much anymore.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,416 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Major Supermarkets close to Romantic Zone

Sorry, I meant "I DIDN'T find their produce..." typo error...